VIIRS R2018.0 reprocessing

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jstum
Answers: 0

by jstum » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 am America/New_York

Hello,

I would like to know if the R2018.0 VIIRS reprocessing will change the VIIRS L1 data quality or L2 only.
The beginning of the reprocessing of past data is planned for next week. What is the situation for the present NRT ("quicklook") data ?

Thanks

Jacques

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:20 pm America/New_York

Jacques,

We will be reprocessing the L1A data, as there were a few minor issues that were resolved in the L0->L1A process that affected a very small percentage of the data.
But, since the affected files are not easily isolated, we're going to regenerate all of them.  When we initiate the reprocessing, the forward stream (i.e. NRT) will switch to the new code/calibration.

Sean

jstum
Answers: 0

by jstum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:34 am America/New_York

Hello Sean,

I have received the official announcement for the start of the R2018.0 production yersterday, affecting the forward stream.
By looking at the content of the L1A products, I don't see any information about the processing version (no global attribute).
Do you know precisely which granule is the first produced with the new code ?

Thanks

Jacques

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:55 am America/New_York

Jacques,

Technically, the L1A data are not part of the R2018 reprocessing.  We regenerated them only to ensure that the various very minor code fixes were in and applied to all the data.
For the vast majority of the data the L1A data are identical to the data before we regenerated them.  BTW, every L1A file was regenerated already.  If you find you previously had an issue with a L1A file, you may try reacquiring it as there is a small possibility it is better.

The L2 data and above ARE part of the R2018 reprocessing and they have the pversion set to R2018.0

Regards,
Sean