Download L3 level images

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
nada31
Answers: 0

Download L3 level images

by nada31 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am America/New_York

HI  , I need to download L3 level images to extract the monster average of chlorophyll from my northern region
as
I saw this link but the upload is impossible
   https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi/l3
if it's the right site, I download monthly or monthly climatology (to extract chlorophyll)
for the sensor I chose Aqua MODIS chlorophyll concentration, OCI algorithm or Aqua MODIS chlorophyll concentration, OCx algorithm
what is the best to extract chlorophyll
Is there another site where I can download these pictures ,,, ???
and how can I download this type of images A2006167181000.L3b_time.hdf

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

Download L3 level images

by gnwiii » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 am America/New_York

The link you cite goes to the level-3 browser.  If you only need a few files it is very convenient, but I'm not sure what you meand by "the upload is impossible".  After setting your parameters in the pulldown lists you should see a series of small images.  If you move the pointer to one of these images, you should see "SMI" and "BIN" displayed in the lower  corners and a filename.  If you click on one of these, a download should start.  In some cases the small images may be replaced by "not available".  Usually this just means the image is in the process of being updated, whcih might require a wait of a few days.

See chlor_a ATBD for comparisons of OCI and OCx.

There are two other ways to download data: Direct Data Access (file browswer) and Data File Search (fill in a form to generate a list of filenames or URL's for bulk downloading). 
The file you mention is an example of level-3 binned data.  These files do not provide images directly, but have to mapped.   The SMI files are mapped
using a cylindrical equidistant projection that many people find easy to use, but for some purposes you may want to use the l3mapgen program with a different projection.  Note that l3mapgen can use either L3b or L3m data.

OB WebDev - norman
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 0

Download L3 level images

by OB WebDev - norman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:59 am America/New_York

Aqua/MODIS data are currently being reprocessed.
Please see the last paragraph here.

https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/forum/oceancolor/topic_show.pl?tid=7817

Regards,
Norman