l3mapgen feature request

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
treble
Answers: 0

l3mapgen feature request

by treble » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:48 pm America/New_York

When using mosaic to reproject an image the whole output area will be covered.  With l3mapgen only the area bounded by the lat/lon constraints will we filled.  So when using stereographic projections there will parts of the image that will be blank.  The old Seadas 6 version of l3mapgen did not have this issue.  See attached an example of an L3m image mapped with Mosaic and and L3b image mapped with l3mapgen (using slightly different projections, but you get the idea).

Can a future version of l3mapgen do this?  Adding geolocation data would be good too!

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

l3mapgen feature request

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm America/New_York

Have you seen this option:

trimNSEW (boolean) (default=yes) = should we trim output
        to match input NSEW range

Set it to zero.

Sean

...and geolocation for non-SMI projections is actively being worked for a future release...

treble

l3mapgen feature request

by treble » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm America/New_York

That is great!  I had never heard of that option.  How do you use it?  I tried putting it in my parameter file and from the command line, but it doesn't know that option...  Or do I have to recompile l3mapgen?  I tried both trimNSEW=0 and trimNSEW=false

-E- clo_readString: unknown option "trimNSEW = 0" from command line

Thanks,

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

l3mapgen feature request

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 pm America/New_York

Hmmm...It's been in the code base so long I guess I assumed it was already in SeaDAS :)
You could wait until the v7.5 release...which, while long in the making, is (yeah I'll say it again) coming soon.
Or manually pull down the v7.5 git branch...which has been hiding in the wild for a while...not the final version
(thus the hiding), but one that does have an l3mapgen with the trimNSEW option

Sean

treble

l3mapgen feature request

by treble » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:24 pm America/New_York

Thanks, I was able to install it on my Mac.  And it works with the option trimNSEW = no !  Nice.

But the new l3mapgen (v7.5) did not work on my server (CentOS 7).  See error message below.  I also tried to compile it after downloading the source, but got stuck on the git clone https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/rcs/obpg/ocssw.git part, it asked for Username and Password, which I don't have (it didn't take the Earthdata one).

[/opt/seadas/seadas-7.5/ocssw/bin 1167]$ ./l3mapgen
./l3mapgen: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./l3mapgen)
./l3mapgen: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./l3mapgen)
./l3mapgen: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /opt/seadas/seadas-7.5/ocssw/bin/../opt/lib/libnetcdf_c++4.so.1)
./l3mapgen: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by /opt/seadas/seadas-7.5/ocssw/bin/../opt/lib/libpugixml.so.1)

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

l3mapgen feature request

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:03 pm America/New_York

Well, that repo isn't accessible to the wild and free.  But the version here -> https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocssw/build.git ...is, no password required :grin:
Just curious, where did you see that repo link?

Sean

treble

l3mapgen feature request

by treble » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:08 pm America/New_York

Ah, ok, I will try that.  That repository was listed in the README after I downloaded the source. 

./install_ocssw.py --install-dir=$HOME/ocssw --git-branch=v7.5 --src
Snippet from README file in $HOME/ocssw/build :

Here are the steps needed to build using bash, cmake and make:

1) Get a copy of the git repository

cd $HOME
git clone https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/rcs/obpg/ocssw.git [optional targe
t directory name]

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

l3mapgen feature request

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:36 pm America/New_York

Well, you don't need to grab build, as you already did...that's what the --src option does for you.  I'll be sure to fix the README to prevent future confusion :grin:

treble

l3mapgen feature request

by treble » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm America/New_York

Yes, that's what I figured now... The instruction are a bit confusing. 
The get_lib3_src.sh script doesn't work for example:
./get_lib3_src.sh
cat: .svn_lib3_branch: No such file or directory
cat: .svn_lib3_revision: No such file or directory
svn: E000111: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'svn://localhost'
svn: E000111: Can't connect to host 'localhost': Connection refused

I tried to BuildIt any way, but it failed, still complaining about GLIBC_2.23 not found.  Default gcc/gfortran version on CentOS 7 is 4.8.5.  I tried with gcc 7 and gcc 6 but that gave me other errors (it is not easy to install gcc 5 on CentOS 7):
src/test/xdrstdio_test.c: In function ‘init_tmpdir’:
src/test/xdrstdio_test.c:241:7: error: this ‘else’ clause does not guard... [-Werror=misleading-indentation]
       else
       ^~~~
src/test/xdrstdio_test.c:243:9: note: ...this statement, but the latter is misleadingly indented as if it is guarded by the ‘else’
         return;
         ^~~~~~

Ah, well, I have it running on my Mac.  Hopefully future version of Seadas 7.5 will run on CentOS 7 without having to compile...

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

l3mapgen feature request

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 am America/New_York

Yeah, that README :eek:...seems it hasn't been tweaked for SeaDAS (it's the version for our internal developers).  So, we'll have to fix that before the official release :grin:
Not sure why compiling the third party libraries would complain about the version of glibc...your doing the compiling and linking...odd... you should be able to build with the gcc v4.8 on the system...I've built the code with it, so I know it can be done...I can't promise the binaries we distribute will work for all systems, but we do try to be as compatible as we can...

Sean