Problems Compiling OCSSW osx

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
r.fernandes
Answers: 0

by r.fernandes » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:36 am America/New_York

Hi,

I have been trying to compile the 3rd party libs for a while always following the steps at https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/build_ocssw/. Had a few problems but eventually was able to successfully build them.
But now when i try to use "make" it stops around 90%. I did "make VERBOSE=1" and will post here the result of the error.

[ 90%] Built target l3mapgen
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -f src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/build.make src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/depend
cd /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build/cbuild && /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake -E cmake_depends "Unix Makefiles" /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build/src/l1agen_modis /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build/cbuild /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build/cbuild/src/l1agen_modis /Users/Mogli/ocssw/build/cbuild/src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/DependInfo.cmake --color=
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -f src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/build.make src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/build
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../lib3/EOS/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a', needed by `src/l1agen_modis/l1agen_modis'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

I did "make clean" and tried again "make" a few times, but it always  stops with the same error.

I'm using High Sierra 10.13.2, what other information do i need to provide for you to be able to help me?

Thank you

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am America/New_York

It looks like this library did not get built when you built the third party libs.

OCSSW/lib3/EOS/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a

If that library does not exist on your system then you need to rebuild lib3/src/sdptk.  You do not have to rebuild all of lib3.  You can "cd" to that directory and do a "./BuildIt"  Watch the output carefully since there are MANY failure states that print out errors, but are not caught by the build script.

don

r.fernandes

by r.fernandes » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 am America/New_York

Hi don,

I rebuilt the lib but the flibPGSTK.a is still missing from OCSSW/lib3/EOS/lib/macintel64.
There where no errors that a noticed building it.
Could i be missing some package or using an outdated one? I installed everything on the guide and macports says its everything up to date.

Ricardo

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 am America/New_York

It is easy to miss errors when running BuildIt from a terminal.  An Emacs shell window allows you to capture all the output and search for strings like "error:".  Note that the HDF libraries get extensive tests, including error cases, but there will be comments in the logs to tell you if an error is expected.  Another way to capture the output is ./BuildIt > BuildIt.log 2>&1.

r.fernandes

by r.fernandes » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 pm America/New_York

I did it again, same error same place

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../lib3/EOS/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a', needed by `src/l1agen_modis/l1agen_modis'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [src/l1agen_modis/CMakeFiles/l1agen_modis.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

The log is to big to upload but didnt find any errors and the only reference to libPGSTK.a was
The SCF version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built
The FORTRAN-77 version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built
Using non-ABSOFT f77 compiler

Thank you,
Ricardo

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 pm America/New_York

Try:

$ grep libPGSTK ocssw/build/lib3/src/BuildIt-gcc7.log
The SCF version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built
The FORTRAN-77 version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built
Creating /Users/gwhite/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a...
ar: creating archive /Users/gwhite/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a
Updating /Users/gwhite/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a...
Updating /Users/gwhite/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/lib/macintel64/libPGSTK.a...

Each of these lines marks a section that adds a group of object files to the library.  If you don't have any of these lines, there must have been a problem compiling the object files.   Look for the line ********** Building SDPTK ********** and start reading carefully from there.

r.fernandes

by r.fernandes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 am America/New_York

By trying grep i only get
The SCF version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built\
The FORTRAN-77 version of the toolkit library libPGSTK.a will be built\

Started reading the log from the place you specified, and it seems to have some problems at least on 3 different places:

build the smfcompile utility ...C version

/opt/local/bin/gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -fPIC -O2 -DH5_USE_16_API  -DMACINTEL -Df2cFortran -DMACINTEL   -I/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/include  PGS_SMF_Comp.c -o /Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/bin/macintel64/smfcompile  -lpthread
ld: warning: could not create compact unwind for _main: stack subq instruction is too different from dwarf stack size

build the ephtobin utility...

/opt/local/bin/gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -fPIC -O2 -DH5_USE_16_API  -DMACINTEL -DMACINTEL  -I/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/include  PGS_CBP_ASCtoBIN.c -o /Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/src/sdptk/TOOLKIT/bin/macintel64/ephtobin
ld: warning: could not create compact unwind for _main: stack subq instruction is too different from dwarf stack size

building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/chkeph" failed: No such file or directory (2)
done

sent 29 bytes  received 20 bytes  98.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]
building file list ... done
ephtobin

sent 13165 bytes  received 42 bytes  26414.00 bytes/sec
total size is 13040  speedup is 0.99
building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/PGS_CSC_UT1_update" failed: No such file or directory (2)
done

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]
building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/PGS_TD_NewLeap" failed: No such file or directory (2)
done

PGS_1
PGS_10
PGS_11
PGS_12
PGS_13
PGS_14
PGS_15
PGS_3
PGS_4
PGS_5
PGS_6
PGS_7
PGS_9
de200.eos

sent 4805853 bytes  received 328 bytes  9612362.00 bytes/sec
total size is 22526649  speedup is 4.69
PCF.relB0

sent 26220 bytes  received 42 bytes  52524.00 bytes/sec
total size is 26094  speedup is 0.99

gnwiii

by gnwiii » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:19 pm America/New_York

I have 40 of those "unwind" warnings, but they are just warnings.  There is no mention of "rsync" in my log, so that needs investigation.  I assume rsync is only mentioned when it gives an error, but someone who is more familar with the toolkit build system.  You could try working back from the first mention of rsync, or try to find where rsync is being used in the scripts and Makefiles.

Google for the unwind warning and you will find the incantation to tell the compiler not to "create compact unwind".

Do you really need to rebuild all of the OCSSW processing system?  If you are only interested in one of the programs and that programs happens not to use libPGSTK.a then you might be able to build only the one program with the libraries you already have.

r.fernandes

by r.fernandes » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:02 am America/New_York

I found this references to rsync in the log.

building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/chkeph" failed: No such file or directory (2)\
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]\
building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/PGS_CSC_UT1_update" failed: No such file or directory (2)\
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-52/rsync/main.c(996) [sender=2.6.9]\
building file list ... rsync: link_stat "/Users/Mogli/Applications/seadas-7.4/ocssw/build/lib3/EOS/bin/macintel64/PGS_TD_NewLeap" failed: No such file or directory (2)\

The files it says that dont exist are really not in any folder. And i cant find where is this error coming from.
Could it be an error downloading the sourcecode? i did it through the GUI in SeaDAS 7.4, and i did a clean install already after a few days of dealing with this problem, and it persisted exactly the same.

In the near future i need it to be able to batch process level 2 MODIS-AQUA images to L3. But later i will need to be able to process from L1a to L3. I dont know yet which programs i will need for sure.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am America/New_York

Let's take a step back...why are you trying to build from source?  Are you having issues with the pre-compiled binaries distributed with SeaDAS? 
You should have no need to modify the code that uses the libraries with which you're having issues, so unless the binaries we distribute are not working on High Sierra, I don't think you need to fight this battle. 

Sean