Which algorithm?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
bbroman93
Answers: 0

Which algorithm?

by bbroman93 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:27 pm America/New_York

Hello,

I'm trying to generate anomaly maps for Aerosol Distribution. The package comes with angstrom_, aot_869, Rrs_412, Rrs_443, Rrs_469, Rrs_488, Rrs_531, Rrs_547, Rrs_555, Rrs_645, Rrs_667, and Rrs_678. I'm trying to figure out which band best represents terrestrial dust and particulate matter. I am trying to look specifically at the dust coming off of Africa.

Also, I am wondering the difference between the two algorithms for chlorophyll concentration - OCx vs OCI. Is either one better for measuring productivity?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
Bianca :grin:

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Which algorithm?

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:20 am America/New_York

Bianca,

None of them.  Well, aot might be useful, but it's just an estimate of the aerosol total optical thickness - but only to a point.  Dust tends to get flagged as clouds in our processing and would be excluded.  If you're looking for an atmosphere product, you should look at the Atmosphere discipline :wink:

Either chl product is fine to use - although we'll likely be dropping the chl_ocx product with the next reprocessing.  The chl_oci algorithm *is* chl_ocx for most of the dynamic range.  It's only low chlorophylls where the algorithm switches to the Hu et al., approach.

Sean