problems last update of ocssw

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jcoca
Answers: 0

by jcoca » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 pm America/New_York

Hello

I have just updated the ocssw SeaDAS binaries using install_ocssw.py. I have downloaded the last version of the script form the Ocean Color Web. I have tested the changes to produce L2 files using MODIS, VIIRS and Sentinel 3 data. The update works properly on my system for AQUA, TERRA and SNPP. However, I have experienced problems with VIIRS JPSS1 data and Sentinel 3 data.

Sentinel 3

Following the output from l2gen about missing files, I have made some change to be able to “run” the binaries.:

• For sentinel 3 the script install the  band_info_olci.F0.txt  band_info_olci.snap.txt band_info_olci.txt in the directory /seadas/ocssw/share/olci/cal/. Following the outputs,  just to test, I have copied this files to manually created directories:
        ? /seadas/ocssw/share/olci/s3a/cal
        ? /seadas/ocssw/share/olci/s3b/cal

• After this change, the error were related to the rayleigh files. The l2gen require the rayleigh files rayleigh_olcis3a_*_iqu.hdf and rayleigh_olcis3b_*_iqu.hdf.
      Hovewer they are not present in the directory /seadas/ocssw/share/olci/rayleigh/. In the directory the available files are rayleigh_olci_*_iqu.hdf.  Again just to test, I have copied/renamed the rayleigh_olci_*_iqu.hdf to rayleigh_olcis3a_*_iqu.hdf and rayleigh_olcis3b_*_iqu.hdf

With these changes l2gen “run” for both satellites, but how can I get the appropriate files (rayleigh and iqu) correspondind to S3A and S3B satellites?

VIIRS-JPSS1
Ocean color processing works properly, l2gen fails for sst processing:

….
Loading SSES table from /seadas/ocssw/share/viirs/npp/cal/sst_sses_viirsn.v6.4.1.gt100counts.hdf
-E- /home/seadas/ocssw/src/l2gen/sst.c line 869: Table dimensions for bias do not match expectation.

Regards
Josep

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:20 am America/New_York

We just updated the olci data and the installer script.  Grab the new installer script at:

https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocssw/install_ocssw.py

or use the GUI to update the processors.

You can now install --olcis3a and --olcis3b.  I would suggest deleting OCSSWROOT/share/olci first.

don

jcoca

by jcoca » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:56 pm America/New_York

Hello

Thank you very much for your response !!!
I supose that the problem related to VIIRS-JPSS1 SST requires more time to be solved.

Regards
Josep

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:15 pm America/New_York

We do not support SST processing from VIIRS-JPSS1.  That is not a problem we will be fixing.
At least not  for JPSS1 :grin: SNPP, sure :wink:
Sean

jcoca

by jcoca » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:59 am America/New_York

Hello
Thank you very much for the information. However, it is sad to hear that SST for VIIRS-JPSS1 will not be supported by SeaDAS. It is very useful get SST and ocean color variables from the same sensor, as in case of MODIS and VIIRS-SNPP.

Thank you very much
Josep

moeinizadi

by moeinizadi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:58 pm America/New_York

Hi,

I am trying to install SeaDAS on Linux machine. I installed the visualization package and cannot install the  processing components neither using GUI or shell scripting. The error is :network is unreachable. Would you please let me know what would be the problem?
Attached you can find the two errors from GUI approach and scripting!
attachment 1

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:59 am America/New_York

The biggest problem here  is that your Linux virtual machine can not talk to the network.  Perhaps the networking is not set up properly on the virtual machine.

don

moeinizadi

by moeinizadi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:24 pm America/New_York

Thank you so much don. How can I set it up?

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 am America/New_York

Network configuration is really outside the scope of these forums, but is also a serious problem for many would-be users of the OCSSW processing system.  If you are at a large university or government site your IT group may be running tools (firewall with added security measures) that block traffic for unapproved configurations, so you are obliged to contact IT for advice on what will be permitted.

Your best source of information will be the documentation and forums associated with the virtual machine system and OS you are using.   Unfortunately the internet is full of sites that copy outdated or incorrect information on such topics, using search "optimization" tricks so the first dozen hits in Google often provide bad information.   It may be worth posting the details of your OS and virtual machine here in the hope someone with a similar configuration can point you to the appropriate documentation.

You may get better advice by starting a new thread along the lines of "network configuration for OCSSW in a <linux?macOS?> VM".