l2bin run in GUI produces error

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
efiliten
Answers: 0

by efiliten » Thu May 21, 2020 12:10 pm America/New_York

Hello,

I'm new to seadas and I want to process Modis Chl and SST data products. After installing the OC processors according to https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/ , I'd like to create a 3-day composite of sst products by:

1. using l2bin on L2 products acquired on the same day
2. combine 3 days of binned L2 products into a composite with l3bin (and l3map afterwards, I guess) 

Seadas throws the following error when running l2bin in the seadas GUI (only part of it provided here to save space):

execution exception:java.io.IOException: l2bin failed with exit code 1.
[...]
INTERP parameter disabled
[...]

ifile:0    jsrow:0    nsamp:1354
-E- /home/seadas/ocssw/oel_util/libtimeutils/leapsecond.c:32 - leapsecond file (/home/yyyyy/seadas7.5/ocssw/var/common/tai-utc.dat) not found.

Seadas runs on an Ubuntu 16.04 Virtual Machine.

I can provide more information on the error message or the OC processors installation procedure if needed.
Any help or ideas with this will be appreciated.

Liten

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am America/New_York

That file gets downloaded by the update_luts.py script.   You can run it from the GUI (or command line: update_luts.py -v aqua).    It should have been run as the last step in the installation -- did you check the aqua box when you ran the installer?

efiliten
Answers: 0

by efiliten » Fri May 22, 2020 9:48 am America/New_York

gnwiii,

Thanks for replying. I did run the LUT update from the GUI and it worked indeed.
I installed seadas using the terminal so I didn't check the aqua box.
Thanks again for helping, might be coming back with more questions!

Liten

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Fri May 22, 2020 12:17 pm America/New_York

It might be good to double check your command-line install options.  For MODIS Aqua:

install_ocssw.py -b v7.5 --aqua

This would have downloaded a bunch of data needed to process MODIS Aqua data, and end by running update_luts.py.  Much of the sensor-specific data is used by l2gen,  and is not needed for your workflow, but, as you discovered, at least one of the files is needed.   The git branch is important as there have been changes to handle downloads with the new EarthData login requirements.