SeaDAS Visualization on Linux

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
avmehta
Answers: 0

by avmehta » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am America/New_York

Hello,
  I use SeaDAS GUI on my Mac for raster calculations and visualization.
  I am trying do the same on a Linux computer. When I launch 'seadas'  I get the following message window:
"An Internal Error occurred. Not able to create user interface control for page component World Map Location"
  I do get a  SeaDAS window. But I do not see any mask options.
Thank you.
Amita

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:33 pm America/New_York

It could be helpful to others with similar problems if you mention your linux distro and the Java version you are using.  

"An Internal Error occurred. Not able to create user interface control for page component World Map Location" is often due to using a Linux distro supplied Java (e.g., openjdk) instead of the Oracle version.   If you are using Oracle Java the problem could be with your graphics configuration.  Linux has many options the X-windows graphics seadas uses -- defaults for newer distros may not be compatible with seadas 7.

Many Linux distros can't provide Oracle Java due to a recent change by Oracle in their license.   Seadas 7 works well using the Oracle Java runtime environment (JRE) provided by ESA SNAP, or (if you can agree to Oracle's license) you can download the Java 1.8 JRE from Oracle.