SeaDAS 8.1.0 installation error

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
martakonik
Answers: 0

SeaDAS 8.1.0 installation error

by martakonik » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:40 am America/New_York

I tried to install the new version of SeaDAS in a console. I got an error below. I tried using several java versions. Nothing helped. Could you please give me a hint what might be the problem? I am using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS:

root@toolbox-kontenerowiec4-ubuntu:/opt/seadas# sh ./seadas_8.1.0_linux64_installer.sh --nox11 --accept
Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
Uncompressing SeaDAS by Ocean Ecology Lab 100%
Command line arguments:
SEVERE: com.izforge.izpack.api.exception.IzPackException: Console implementation not found for panel: com.izforge.izpack.panels.installationtype.InstallationTypePanel

Tags:

gnwiii
Answers: 2

Re: SeaDAS 8.1.0 installation error

by gnwiii » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 am America/New_York

I should note that it is not good practice to install SeaDAS as root -- it is a complex GUI application intended to be installed on a per user basis. If you want to use a script for multiple installs (e.g., student workshop) you could consider making a tar archive of a base installation and extracting that as the target user so the files are owned by the user.

On a system with java-1.8.0-openjdk JDK and see the same issue. On a system with X11, the installer opens a GUI window. For IzPack, "-console" is supposed to support a console installation, but adding "-- -console" gives the same "SEVERE" error.

Since SeaDAS 8 is a GUI, you will eventually need X11 (or wayland). It might be useful to mention more details of your use case. It is often possible to use xvfb to provide X11 for batch processing (e.g., with software that used X11 fonts to create png images).

m_brown

by m_brown » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:42 pm America/New_York

Hello,

I encountered a similar issue when attempting to install SeaDAS 8.1.0 on a Mac running Big Sur. Specifically, I was told that my system does not have a compatible JDK.

Is this as simple as installing a JAVA SE JDK, e.g. from here: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologie ... #jdk17-mac?

Additionally, I noticed a "seadas-installer-dir" folder got constructed. Prior to re-trying the install, can I just remove that folder? Are there any other files/folders that should be removed?

Output from my terminal is below. Thanks!

Mike

% sh seadas_8.1.0_mac_installer.sh
Creating directory seadas-installer-dir
Uncompressing SeaDAS by Ocean Ecology Lab, NASA 100%
Command line arguments:
Using laf org.pushingpixels.substance.api.skin.SubstanceNebulaBrickWallLookAndFeel
Not all installer requirements are fulfilled.

gnwiii
Answers: 2

by gnwiii » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:13 am America/New_York

https://seadas.gsfc.nasa.gov/requirements/ says MacOS distributions include a suitable Java JRE, but that may be outdated. A recent JRE such as the one in the link you mention will be widely used, so any Big Sur problems should be found and fixed.

SeaDAS uses the SNAP Java GUI, but ESA SNAP supports a wider range of sensors so has a large user community and is more likely to have users with a similar system configuration to yours, so you may want to search the ESA SNAP forums for details of installation on Big Sur.

Python has been problematic for ESA SNAP users on Big Sur, but mainly for "snappy" users. NASA has not (yet?) included snappy in SeaDAS 8.

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:12 pm America/New_York

Mike,

I'm able to install on my Big Sur (11.6) - which is using java (build 1.8.0_241-b07). But you should not need to install JDK because SeaDAS comes packaged with a JDK which it uses. What happened during installation? Did you get an Installer GUI? What steps did you click within the installer GUI?

Here's watch installation should look like:

sh seadas_8.1.0_mac_installer.sh
Command line arguments:
Using laf org.pushingpixels.substance.api.skin.SubstanceNebulaBrickWallLookAndFeel
Cannot find named resource: 'packsLang.xml' AND 'packsLang.xml_eng'
====================
Installation started
Framework: 5.1.3-84aaf (IzPack)
Platform: mac_osx,version=10.16,arch=x86,symbolicName=null,javaVersion=1.8.0_271
Installation finished
[ Writing the uninstaller data ... ]

Danny

m_brown

by m_brown » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:45 pm America/New_York

Hi Danny,

My install goes up the following:

sh seadas_8.1.0_mac_installer.sh
Command line arguments:

Then a GUI pops up and states that I do not have a JDK available, which it states is necessary for both the installation and execution of the software. I'm given the option to proceed with the installation, but I clicked "No".

Should I click "Yes"? How can I clean up any folders/files that were created during the stalled installation and start over? Thanks!

Mike

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:27 am America/New_York

Mike,
Yes. ...click yes.

Sean

m_brown

by m_brown » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:59 pm America/New_York

Thanks Sean!

The install worked, but unfortunately it was performed directly within my home directory and not within a SeaDAS folder, so there are many loose items floating around.

- Can I uninstall and start over, and if so, how is that done?
- Could any system files have been erased during this install, and/or is there a danger of that occurring during the uninstall?

Mike

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:39 am America/New_York

Mike,
I just upgraded to Big Sur and tried the install. Seems the default install directory is set to your home directory (sans a seadas subdirecory). We'll look into that. Not a huge problem, as you can always define the directory to install into with the 'Target Path' step of the installation (until the installer is fixed to predefine it properly, you'll have to do so). Also just noticed that the uninstaller seems not happy, so it'll be a manual process to extract it. Just remove these directories:

Uninstaller
bin (careful with this one, if you had a previous $HOME/bin directory, just remove the seadas and seadas.app)
ide
platform
seadas-toolbox
etc
jre1.8.0_201.jre
s3tbx
snap

No system files have been modified or erased during the filming of this mocumentary :)

Then reinstall (but define the path!)
Sean

...and yes, you can also delete the seadas-installer-dir that is created by the installer.

pastorar2000

by pastorar2000 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:27 pm America/New_York

Danny,
thanks for posting the commands for terminal and I was having much difficulty running the installation program after download. I operate a MacOS and the directions provided for MacOs were not working. Thanks again.
OB SeaDAS - knowles wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I'm able to install on my Big Sur (11.6) - which is using java (build
> 1.8.0_241-b07). But you should not need to install JDK because SeaDAS
> comes packaged with a JDK which it uses. What happened during
> installation? Did you get an Installer GUI? What steps did you click
> within the installer GUI?
>
>
> Here's watch installation should look like:
>
> sh seadas_8.1.0_mac_installer.sh
> Creating directory seadas-installer-dir
> Verifying archive integrity... 100% All good.
> Uncompressing SeaDAS by Ocean Ecology Lab, NASA 100%
> Command line arguments:
> Using laf
> org.pushingpixels.substance.api.skin.SubstanceNebulaBrickWallLookAndFeel
> Cannot find named resource: 'packsLang.xml' AND 'packsLang.xml_eng'
> ====================
> Installation started
> Framework: 5.1.3-84aaf (IzPack)
> Platform:
> mac_osx,version=10.16,arch=x86,symbolicName=null,javaVersion=1.8.0_271
> Installation finished
> [ Writing the uninstaller data ... ]