What exaclty are Level 0 and Level 1 data?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
leon_c
Answers: 0

What exaclty are Level 0 and Level 1 data?

by leon_c » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:19 pm America/New_York

Hi!

I have a question regarding the nature of Level 0 and Level 1 data as described in the "Data Processing Levels". What exactly is "Reconstructed, unprocessed instrument and payload data" at Level 0? Is it electrical signals (voltage, frequency...), and is Level 1 data then radiance (W·sr−1·m−2)? Could you provide me with some articles on this?

Thank you!

Tags:

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: What exaclty are Level 0 and Level 1 data?

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:34 pm America/New_York

Here is a bit more of a description: https://earthdata.nasa.gov/collaborate/ ... ata-levels

After that, you can try the following back on the ocean color website. Navigate to MISSION > (Click a sensor), then find the section on 'Documentation'. The link to the 'Mission Website' and the other listed links drill down into more specific details.

leon_c
Answers: 0

by leon_c » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:15 am America/New_York

Thanks for the advice!

So L1 data is radiance, but the L0 is still a bit vague to me, at least physically.

"Production Data Set (PDS) is the raw instrument package" would that be the measured product of photovoltaic/photoelectirc effect?

Thank you!

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:33 am America/New_York

Hi Leon,
you can try the following back on the ocean color website. Navigate to MISSION > (Click a sensor), then find the section on 'Documentation'. The link to the 'Mission Website' and the other listed links drill down into more specific details.
I would recommend visiting the mission websites (external of the OceanColor Web) to find out more details on the data. This site might help: https://directreadout.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/?id=home