Transferred mask goes in folder Bands - SeaDAS 8.1.0

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
owurl
Answers: 0

Transferred mask goes in folder Bands - SeaDAS 8.1.0

by owurl » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 am America/New_York

Hi There

I work with sea-surface temperature (SST) data and define a mask as ROI to do statistics. I would like to compare the same regions on different SST images. In mask manager, I transfer a defined mask to the second product. In the original product, the defined mask can be found in the folder MASKS, but the transferred mask in the second product is placed in the folder BANDS (and not MASKS). That is probably why I can't choose ROI while trying to do statistics in the second product. Is it a bug?

I tried to export the mask as xml, but then I get the error "Unable to export to .xml" without further details. Does someone know why is it?

I have to say that I have worked so far with SeaDAS 7.5.3, that means I created my products in 7.5.3, but had no issues to open the products and work with them so far in version 8.1.0.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance

Best regards
Oliver

Tags:

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Transferred mask goes in folder Bands - SeaDAS 8.1.0

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:19 pm America/New_York

Hi Oliver,

I just tested this in SeaDAS 8.1.0 and it works fine. I can export a mask from one file and then import it into another file. In my test, the mask in the 2nd file gets loaded correctly into the masks folder and not the bands folders as you mentioned. So I cannot replicate your bug.

Can you clarify whether you are using SeaDAS 8.1.0 or SeaDAS 7.5.3 when you export the mask and get "Unable to export to .xml".

You mentioned that you are using SeaDAS 7.5.3 Statistics Tool. Please note that although everything else from SeaDAS 7.5.3 was transferred into SeaDAS 8.x, the SeaDAS 8.x Statistics Tool has yet to be be update, but is planned for a future release. If you are using SeaDAS 7.5.3 Statistics Tool then you can keep both SeaDAS 8.x and SeaDAS 7.5.3. They won't conflict with each other. But any OCSSW processing should now be done with SeaDAS 8.x to have the latest processors.

OB SeaDAS - knowles
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Transferred mask goes in folder Bands - SeaDAS 8.1.0

by OB SeaDAS - knowles » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:28 pm America/New_York

One additional thought. The xml file export is for masks of type "MATH" and not of type "GEOMETRY". If you are trying to import a mask based on geometric coordinates then you can do this with a ESRI shapefile.

For a given scene file, to export a vector as a shape file, in File Manager GUI, in "Vector Data" folder, right click on the geometry and select "Geometry as Shapefile". This saves a shapefile (actually 5 files). Then open another image file and you import the shapefile by the Menu > File > Import > Vector Data > ESRI Shapefile (selecting the file with the suffix .shp). This loads the shape file into your scene file and autogenerates an associated mask.