Multidimensional Rasters Missing Attribute Information (ArcGIS)

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
dommybo123
Answers: 0

Multidimensional Rasters Missing Attribute Information (ArcGIS)

by dommybo123 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm America/New_York

I downloaded NASA VIIRS/NPP Lunar BRDF-Adjusted Nighttime Lights (VNP46A4) data for use within ArcGIS Pro. I'm trying to input the multidimensional raster into ArcGIS Pro so that I can create a space-time cube, but anytime I try to do analysis with the rasters, it says there's no valid time dimension. There's no attribute data for these layers which is why I'm assuming there's an issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there anywhere I can download these layers that are more optimized for a GIS?

Tags:

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Multidimensional Rasters Missing Attribute Information (ArcGIS)

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:47 am America/New_York

You can try using Black Marble HDF to GeoTIFF Converter available at:
https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/tools-and-services/#black-marble-hdf-to-geotiff
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.

dommybo123

by dommybo123 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:48 pm America/New_York

The HDF to GeoTIFF converter only works for QGIS. I need to use ArcGIS Pro. The problem isn't that it's an HDF file; I actually want an HDF file. But I want an HDF file that analysis can be performed on. The files provided by NASA aren't really functional beyond viewing in ArcGIS.

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:15 pm America/New_York

The purpose of the converter tool is to generate files in GeoTiFF format which can be used in ArcGIS. Unfortunately, there is no other option available for this.
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.

lschwize

by lschwize » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:27 am America/New_York

Hi there!
Thanks for reaching out. Could you tell me the process you are following and any errors you are receiving? I am running ArcGIS Pro 2.8.0 and I’ve downloaded 4 separate VNP46A4 HDF files to add to a mosaic dataset I created. I had success with appending the data and identifying the time dimension, which covered two separate dates. The process I followed was ‘Create Mosaic Dataset’ then ‘Add Raster to Mosaic Dataset’. For this tool I selected HDF for ‘Raster Type’ and ensured all Variables were added from the file properties. I then selected each file under ‘Input Data’. It executed without error and both the attribute table and the Multidimensional tab have the correct temporal information included. Temporal Profile chart and Sample analysis tool seemed to work correctly.