504 Gateway timeout error in wget

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
tom_flamelit
Answers: 0

Re: 504 Gateway timeout error in wget

by tom_flamelit » Sun May 29, 2022 5:35 pm America/New_York

Tom_Flamelit here again. I've been receiving 504s from https://ladsweb.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/archive/ and subdirectories for over 14 hours. Does the API have a health check I can test against? I didn't see any when I read through the docs but figured yall might use some internally.

Tags:

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:04 pm America/New_York

The API does not have a “health check” function. When you place a request, you should check the HTTP status that is returned:

- If it is not a 2xx series status, then you know there might be an issue.
- 4xx series errors usually mean there is a problem with the request (not logged in or invalid token, or asking for a resource that does not exist, or querying with an invalid parameter).
- 5xx series errors usually mean something is not right on the API side (sometimes a bug, sometimes a system issue). If it is a 504 error, then retry the request after waiting a bit. If it is a 500 error, you can report it to us along with the value that is returned in the “Request-ID” header. We currently are seeing issues on our servers where 500 errors are returned because our services are timing out, so if you get lots of 500 errors, we are already working on a solution, but doesn’t hurt to report to us the first time.
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.

tom_flamelit
Answers: 0

by tom_flamelit » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:20 pm America/New_York

Got it -- I appreciate the response!

504s seem to becoming common on weekends and occasionally overnight US EST, but sounds like yall are aware and addressing it. I appreciate the insight on it.