what is the earliest year for the ocan color data?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
duffywang
Answers: 0

what is the earliest year for the ocan color data?

by duffywang » Tue May 10, 2022 10:50 am America/New_York

I want to get the chla data from 1979. But it seems like the earliest year is 1997? Is that true?

Tags:

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: what is the earliest year for the ocan color data?

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Wed May 11, 2022 8:58 am America/New_York

The OB.DAAC has processed and archived data back as far as 1978. Check out our mission timeline for more information. Where are you attempting to find your data? Maybe we can give some suggestions to using our data access points and tools.

duffywang

by duffywang » Mon May 16, 2022 10:23 am America/New_York

Thanks a lot for the information. I'm a beginner in this area. When I was trying to download the ocean color data from the CZCS. There are many options, but I'm not sure the difference between binned, L1, L2, L3BIN, L3SMI, and mapped https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov
(/directaccess/CZCS/). If I want to get monthly chla data to match my fishery data in the Indian Ocean, which one should I choose? I really appreciate your answer.

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Mon May 16, 2022 12:25 pm America/New_York

You should choose the folders called Binned or Mapped. This is where products are divided into groupings that you are after. It's true that the folders called L3BIN and L3SMI contain binned and mapped daily products, respectively, but these are the daily products.

Navigate to DOCS > Level 1, 2, and 3 Definitions to get to our Product Definitions page to learn more about our products. Other data access methods that may be of interest are the File Search tool and the L3 Browser.

duffywang

by duffywang » Mon May 16, 2022 4:20 pm America/New_York

Gotcha! Thank you so much.

duffywang

by duffywang » Sun May 22, 2022 11:01 pm America/New_York

Hi!! I have one more question :>. I found the CSCZ mission which is from 1978 to 1986. I wish I could get the data from 1978 to 2018. However, since I have checked all the missions, I can't find the data from 1986 to 2000. Is there something I missed? Thank you so much!

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Mon May 23, 2022 10:24 am America/New_York

Hi, If you are looking for ANY satellite ocean color data between 1986 and 2000, it might be best to use the file search tool or file search command line option. Here is the link to the tool: https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/api/file_search/

You can put in dates of interest and files matching will be returned. The command line option is found on the search and download methods page of the OceanColor site. Navigate to DOCS > (How To) Search and Download.