How to Open and Read Modis-Aqua L0 data file

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jeff_hsu
Answers: 0

How to Open and Read Modis-Aqua L0 data file

by jeff_hsu » Wed May 18, 2022 1:07 pm America/New_York

Just downloaded some Modis-Aqua L0 .PDS data files, how to open and read it. Anyone knows? thanks,

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: How to Open and Read Modis-Aqua L0 data file

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu May 19, 2022 1:23 pm America/New_York

The L0 format isn't really a friendly one. We distribute them for those who wish to concatenate several together to generate L1 files that are not in the 5-minute granularization that we distribute. Our SeaDAS package includes scripts and programs necessary to convert the L0 binary data into the more useful L1A format. The effort that would be involved in deciphering the L0 format is simply not worth anyone's time, as the code to create a nice L1A file from the L0 exists and is readily available to anyone.

Regards,
Sean

jeff_hsu

by jeff_hsu » Thu May 19, 2022 11:11 pm America/New_York

hi, Sean,

Thanks for the quick turn around. That is to say, there is no such a tool to open and read the L0 file directly without converting to L1, right? we are trying to do some study work with L0 files. And all unzipped L0 files are .PDS format, could I open them with Nanaview.exe tool? I tried, but failed.

thanks,
Jeff

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 am America/New_York

No, there is no tool that can read the L0 files (at least none that I am aware). The L0 files are just a the raw binary packet stream from the instrument, which as I said before is not a particularly friendly format. All of the information from the L0 is contained in the L1A file, but organized in a nice HDF format that is readily accessible by a number of tools.

Sean

jeff_hsu

by jeff_hsu » Sat May 21, 2022 3:23 am America/New_York

Got it. Thanks a lot. Best.