VIIRS striping and M1/M2 band comparisons to MODIS

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
clays_bio
Answers: 0

VIIRS striping and M1/M2 band comparisons to MODIS

by clays_bio » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:33 pm America/New_York

Hi everyone,

I'm comparing the VIIRS-SNPP times series to MODIS-Aqua and noticing an increase of striping in recent years (~2017-present). It's less noticeable in OCx chlorophyll-a, but very obvious in GSM (screenshot of 8day log10 chlorophyll images using the GSM_GS algorithm from Clay et al 2019, from June 18-25 around Nova Scotia). Around the same timeframe, there was a decrease in the M1 band relative to MODIS, and an increase in the M2 band.
VIIRS-SNPP_june_2015to2020.png
VIIRS-SNPP_june_2015to2020.png (344.78 KiB) Not viewed yet
I'm pretty new to the striping issues in VIIRS and how they have been corrected in past reprocessings... Are there plans to correct the striping in the next VIIRS reprocessing? Are the decrease/increase in the M1/M2 bands related to the striping, and will they be corrected at the same time?

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: VIIRS striping and M1/M2 band comparisons to MODIS

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:51 pm America/New_York

The short answer is yes, the temporal calibration (including detector/mirror-side striping) will be much improved with the upcoming reprocessing for VIIRS (on both SNPP and NOAA-20).

So, also yes, what you're seeing is instrument artifacts in VIIRS.

MODIS-Aqua is next up in the reprocessing hopper, to be followed by MODIS-Terra, then VIIRS-SNPP and VIIRS-NOAA20. No promises, but might have them all wrapped up by September (year left off on purpose ;) )

Sean

clays_bio
Answers: 0

Re: VIIRS striping and M1/M2 band comparisons to MODIS

by clays_bio » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am America/New_York

Hi Sean,

That's excellent news! Thanks for clearing that up. I'll check it out again after the reprocessing.

-Stephanie