wget 1.21.3 64bit 404 Error in Windows 10 v20H2

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
daniel.gomes.embrapa.br
Answers: 0

wget 1.21.3 64bit 404 Error in Windows 10 v20H2

by daniel.gomes.embrapa.br » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:20 pm America/New_York

I am trying to download some data from GES DISC Data Collection GLDAS_NOAH025_3H 2.1 using wget 1.21.3 64bit at Windows 10 v20H2 OS Build 19042.1415.

The data is subsetted in South and Central America, and I am trying to download only two variables (Evap_tavg and Rainf_f_tavg), converted to Gtiff format.

The problem is that wget cannot get access to the files because it gets a 404 ERROR (.tif file not available for download)

I believe wget can access your server because it can download the README_GLDAS2.pdf file.

I have already tried to get the data without subsetting and converting it to Gtiff, but I only got a 401 Unauthorized response.

I also downloaded the AIRS file successfully to test if I could download files from GES DISC.

And finally, I could download GLDAS model files from Giovanni Lineage lists successfully. The problem is that the data I downloaded there are not spatially subset and are not in Gtiff format, as it could be if I got it from the GES DISC database. Then it would be more effective for my work if I could use GES DISC data instead of Giovanni's.

I am sending a cmd window attached for you to get a better picture of the problem. I always create a new .usr_cookies file when I try to download the files. I replaced usernames and passwords in the attachment with XYZ.

Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to your reply!
Attachments
Cmd window with the errors and the command line.
Cmd window with the errors and the command line.
2022-07-12_150452_wgetError404.png (99.58 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: wget 1.21.3 64bit 404 Error in Windows 10 v20H2

by GES DISC - jimacker » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:01 pm America/New_York

Daniel,

Hello. We have examined our servers and have determined that the only way you can get GeoTIFF subset files for the data you are seeking is to use Giovanni. The data products and values will be the same; however, our OPeNDAP server is not set up to provide spatial subsetted data as GeoTIFF.

We are not sure what you mean when you say that you are unable to acquire spatially subset data with Giovanni. If you create a bounding box area or input geographic coordinates, you can create a spatial subset and output the data as GeoTIFF. This will unfortunately be tedious if you have a large number of files to process, but we do not have a batch processing capability for Giovanni at this time. Note that you can create the output for two variables at the same time.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services

by GES DISC - jimacker » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:05 pm America/New_York

One followup question: if you downloaded a subsetted file in netCDF format, do you have a way to convert that to GeoTIFF? If so, we can examine the error closely and attempt to determine why the spatial subsetting did not work. If you do not have a way to convert netCDF files to GeoTIFF, then finding the cause of the error will not help you with your data requirements, and Giovanni would be the only way to do it.

daniel.gomes.embrapa.br

by daniel.gomes.embrapa.br » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:55 pm America/New_York

Hi jimacker! Thank you for your response!

I will try both ways: from Giovanni and your database. Then I will know which one fits better for me. I think I had a problem with Giovanni because I asked it to show me a file that creates a temporal average of the data, and I need to get the data without any average, temporal or spatial. I need to choose another way for Giovanni show me the data. Once again, thank you for your time!

daniel.gomes.embrapa.br

by daniel.gomes.embrapa.br » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:58 pm America/New_York

For your information, I tried GES DISC again but chose netCDF this time. It is working correctly. Thank you for being so helpful!

Daniel.

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services

by GES DISC - jimacker » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:26 pm America/New_York

We are glad to hear that the data in netCDF format will be useful to you.