downloading ASTER L1T

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
ndeewong
Answers: 0

Re: downloading ASTER L1T

by ndeewong » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:46 pm America/New_York

Hi, aside from server speed issue, there seems to be a glitch on LPDAAC with user authentication. The glitch allows python requests to return metadata content without authentication, and return 401 error when authentication info is provided. Here is a code to replicate the issue, if auth_info = None, content can be retrieve (after 1-5 mins of waiting), if auth_info = (USERNAME, PASSWORD), a 401 error return. Please help resolve the issue, and thank you so much for all the hard work on building and maintaining this database.

USERNAME = "******"
PASSWORD = "******"
stream_option = False
header_option = {
"Cache-Control": "no-cache",
"Pragma": "no-cache"
}
auth_info = None #(USERNAME, PASSWORD)
url = 'https://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/MOLT/MOD17A2HGF.061/2001.01.01/MOD17A2HGF.A2001001.h09v07.061.2020133143850.hdf.xml'
import requests
session = requests.session()
with requests.get(
url.strip(),
verify=True,
headers=header_option,
stream=stream_option,
auth=auth_info,
# timeout=20,
) as response:
if response.status_code != 200:
print('Not working')
else:
print('Success')
print(response.text)

Tags:

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:36 am America/New_York

Dear @ndeewong
This error might be caused from the LP DAAC who has been experiencing high volumes of user traffic. This has been impacting data downloads for some users and causing timeouts. We have been implementing fixes for this issue. Please try to clear your cache one more time and access the data again. We have found that things are spiking upward again now, but these tend to relate to times users begin their day. You might want to try during off busy hours for best chance of success.
I got the same error using the edge browser, however after a few minutes on Firefox and entered username and password the metadata file was available.
I will forward your inquiry to a subject matter expert for assistance.
Janice

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:18 pm America/New_York

Hi @piyush
I checked with our subject matter expert who advised the instructions are still valid and should run just fine.
Please be advised the LP DAAC is experiencing high volumes of user traffic. This has been impacting data downloads for some users and causing timeouts. Please contact lpdaac@usgs.gov if you continue to have issues.
Janice

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 pm America/New_York

Hi @piyush The LP DAAC has completed the planned maintenance today, which includes some significant improvements to download access. Please try your request again.
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

piyush

by piyush » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:13 pm America/New_York

Unfortunately, still not able to get through and download any ASTER L1T data. Can provide a log if it helps. Continuing to see 401 unauthorized errors.
Last edited by piyush on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 pm America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:55 am America/New_York

Hi @piyush It looks like we are still experiencing issues and are now looking into other solutions. At this time the best advice I have received is to try and download data half an hour after the top of the hour (i.e. 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, etc) as this is when we are manually refreshing connections until we have a better solution. Apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience while we work through this.
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

piyush

by piyush » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:01 pm America/New_York

Our temporary solution (though download speeds seem to be slow) is similar to what is proposed here as well: viewtopic.php?t=3435

It would be good to know if this is the suggested method moving forward.

mustafa23

by mustafa23 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 am America/New_York

Hi,

I want to make a 3D map. However, the file required for the 3rd dimension from the Aster satellite is missing. Where is this file? How can I download? Please help me.
Attachments
3 D.jpg
3 D.jpg (68.42 KiB) Not viewed yet

piyush

by piyush » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:52 am America/New_York

The temporary workaround was working well till about a couple of hours ago (6 AM California), when we started seeing

OSError: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable

Looks like the server has been taken offline.

Piyush

mustafa23

by mustafa23 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:21 pm America/New_York

Hi
How can I change the place I marked in the picture to "yes"? I do not know? Can I download "VNIR, SWIR,TIR " files?