Unable to download data from the 30-Meter SRTM Tile Downloader

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
edwardsch
Answers: 0

Unable to download data from the 30-Meter SRTM Tile Downloader

by edwardsch » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 am America/New_York

I'm trying to grab data from https://dwtkns.com/srtm30m/ and have never been able to get the download to work. I always receive the error "e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov refused to connect." on both my personal computer and my work computer. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

Tags:

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Unable to download data from the 30-Meter SRTM Tile Downloader

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:55 am America/New_York

Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry. The data center that hosts the dataset of interest that you attempted to download is currently experiencing downtime due to an issue that is under investigation. The LP DAAC has been experiencing high volumes of user traffic. This has been impacting data downloads for some users and causing timeouts. We have been implementing fixes for this issue. Please try to clear your cache one more time and access the data again. We have found that things are spiking upward again now, but these tend to relate to times users begin their day. You might want to try during off busy hours for best chance of success.
We apologize for the inconvenience. If you continue to have download issues, please contact LPDAAC@usgs.gov

edwardsch

by edwardsch » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:02 am America/New_York

Thanks for the response - I have tried clearing my cache and accessing the data during off busy hours with no luck. Given the known issues, I'll give it a few weeks before reaching out to the email provided. Thank you!

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:48 am America/New_York

Hi @edwardsch
The LP DAAC has a scheduled maintenance August 17, 2022 that hopes to deliver a new fix which appears to handle some known bugs potentially causing our problems. Until then we'll be bouncing our servers hourly and cleaning up all hung CLOSE_WAIT sessions in order to keep data moving as best we can. Please keep trying to download the SRTM data.

edwardsch

by edwardsch » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:50 am America/New_York

Will do - thanks!

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:50 pm America/New_York

Hi @edwardsch The LP DAAC has completed the planned maintenance Jan referenced earlier. We believe users should see improved data access now. Please try your request again.
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

edwardsch

by edwardsch » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:06 pm America/New_York

Thanks for the update - I am unfortunately still getting the same error as before.

LP DAAC - afriesz
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 2

by LP DAAC - afriesz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 pm America/New_York

@edwardsch ,

Have you tried from another browser? Even after clearing my cache in Chrome is still get an error, but when I try from Firefox I'm able to download the tile.

edwardsch

by edwardsch » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:26 am America/New_York

I've been trying to download the data with Chrome and Microsoft Edge. I downloaded Firefox to try it out and got the following error:

"Unable to connect

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov."

So no luck, I'm afraid.

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:53 am America/New_York

Hi @edwardsch We are still experiencing issues and looking into other solutions. At this time the best advice I have received is to try and download data half an hour after the top of the hour (i.e. 1:30, 2:30, 3:30, etc) as this is when we are manually refreshing connections until we have a better solution. Apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience while we work through this.
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.