SNPP VIIRS L2 SST images are not available

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
fbecker23
Answers: 0

SNPP VIIRS L2 SST images are not available

by fbecker23 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:43 am America/New_York

Hello,
I have noticed that many SNPP VIIRS L2 SST images are not available from https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/, especially the older ones (before 2017). For example, I have tried to download the image for 03 April 2012, for a region near Buenos Aires (Argentina, approximately 38S,55W) and the following legend appears "There is currently no browse file available for the Sea Surface Temperature (11 μ) parameter". I was able to download this same image a few months ago, but it is not available now.
Do you know why this is happening?
Do you know if they will be fixed or if I can download these images from another site?

Thank you very much.
Fernando

Tags:

OB.DAAC - amscott
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: SNPP VIIRS L2 SST images are not available

by OB.DAAC - amscott » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:50 pm America/New_York

Hi Fernando,

Can you describe where you tried to get the files from. The link you shared is the general link to our website, but we have various tools or command line options you may have been attempting to use. I used the Level-3 browser and found this file: AQUA_MODIS.20120403.L3b.DAY.SST.nc. Am I using the same tool that you tried to get data from? Does the attached image show the options you desired?

Did you try the help button? If you are still having issues or if I am misunderstanding your problem, please share more information so we can help you find a resolution.

Alicia
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 4.33.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 4.33.51 PM.png (118.31 KiB) Not viewed yet

fbecker23

by fbecker23 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:36 pm America/New_York

Hi Alicia,
Thank you for your reply and sorry for the little information I gave.
I will try to be more specific. I have tried to download level 2 images from https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi/browse.pl (figure 1, I show the domain boundaries). When I click on "find swaths", I get the images available from 2012 to the present. But when I browse to dates before 2017, most of the SST images are not available (figure 2). To confirm this, when I enter a particular date, the different L1 and L2 images are available (L1A.nc, GEO.nc, L2.OC.nc and L2.IOP.nc) but not the SST image (figure 3).
In particular, I need the OC and SST images that I was able to download from this page a few months ago, but now I can't.
I don't know if I'm making a mistake, or maybe you can suggest me another page from which I can download this kind of images.

I hope I have expressed the problem better.
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards
Fernando
Attachments
Figure 3.png
Figure 3.png (328.26 KiB) Not viewed yet
Figure 2.png
Figure 2.png (339.34 KiB) Not viewed yet
Figure 1.png
Figure 1.png (481.47 KiB) Not viewed yet

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:25 pm America/New_York

Fernando,
This is an unintended consequence of the renaming of the VIIRS L1 files with the recent R2022 reprocessing. We are working to correct the problem.

Sean

fbecker23

by fbecker23 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:43 pm America/New_York

oh ok, I understand. Thank you Sean for your reply and I hope you get it sorted out.