MOD35 Cloud Flag - 3.9-11 μm Quality Assurance

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
samira98
Answers: 0

MOD35 Cloud Flag - 3.9-11 μm Quality Assurance

by samira98 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:28 am America/New_York

I have a question about the MOD35 product, more specifically the Cloud Flag - 3.9-11 μm test. How can I find out if the test was performed and therefore the result is 0, or because low clouds were detected?
In the MODIS Cloud Mask User's Guide, in Table 3 (Bit Description of MODIS Cloud Mask Quality Assurance SDS), I did not find this test, but only the 3.7-11μm test.

The aim of my analysis is to investigate the occurrence of low clouds, for which I would first like to filter out the low clouds.

An answer would be very helpful.
Many thanks in advance.

With kind regards
Samira

Tags:

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: MOD35 Cloud Flag - 3.9-11 μm Quality Assurance

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:46 am America/New_York

Dear Samira Zander:
Yes, you are looking at the right table/values, but most likely at an old document.
The most recent QA documentation (https://atmosphere-imager.gsfc.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/ModAtmo/documents/QA_Plan_C61_Master_2021_09_22.pdf) correctly reports the 3.9-11um test in the table at page 37-39.
Additionally, the 3.7um channel is not used to perform any test in the MOD35 code, so it is safe to assume 3.9um wherever the documentation mentions 3.7um.
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.