Connection problem when downloading IMERG as nc files

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
ndasilva
Answers: 0

Connection problem when downloading IMERG as nc files

by ndasilva » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:46 am America/New_York

Hi,

I am experiencing issues when trying to download the "GPM IMERG Final Precipitation L3 Half Hourly 0.1 degree x 0.1 degree V06" dataset as netcdf files through GES DISC. I am subsetting over a specific area, and extracting 1 variable. When I make the request I get a list of file links like the one below but when I click to one of these, it opens a new browser blank page that keep on loading until stating that it could not get the connection ("The connection has timed out"). I have also tried using wget and got the same issue (Connecting to gpm1.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov (gpm1.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov)|2001:4d0:241a:4041::50|:443... failed: Network is unreachable.). Subsetting IMERG was working in the past (a year ago) for me but not anymore now. I have the same issue when trying to download the IMERG Land Sea mask (v2), which is also a netcdf file. However, I have no problem when I try to download the original IMERG files in HDF5 format. Could you please help me?

https://gpm1.gesdisc.eosdis.nasa.gov/daac-bin/OTF/HTTP_services.cgi?FILENAME=%2Fdata%2FGPM_L3%2FGPM_3IMERGHH.06%2F2018%2F335%2F3B-HHR.MS.MRG.3IMERG.20181201-S000000-E002959.0000.V06B.HDF5&BBOX=-10%2C75%2C20%2C130&SHORTNAME=GPM_3IMERGHH&SERVICE=L34RS_GPM&DATASET_VERSION=06&VERSION=1.02&LABEL=3B-HHR.MS.MRG.3IMERG.20181201-S000000-E002959.0000.V06B.HDF5.SUB.nc4&FORMAT=bmM0Lw&VARIABLES=precipitationCal

Thank you,
Nicolas

Tags:

GES DISC - mgreene
User Services
User Services
Answers: 2

Re: Connection problem when downloading IMERG as nc files

by GES DISC - mgreene » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:42 am America/New_York

Nicolas,

Thank you for your inquiry about downloading IMERG data in NetCDF.
Please see the following for assistance.
1) Visit the dataset landing page, https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/datasets/GPM_3IMERGHH_06/summary
2) Click on, Subset/Get Data, in Data ACCESS, and select,
Get File Subsets using OPeNDAP (in Download Method)
Generate file links supporting geo-spatial search and crop and selection of variables and dimensions, in netCDF or ASCII formats.
3) Follow the instructions, make sure you select NetCDF, and click on Get Data.

If you have problems when downloading the data, this page provides helpful information,
https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/data-access

Thanks,

ndasilva

by ndasilva » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:35 pm America/New_York

Dear mgreene,

Thank you for your answer. However I had already proceeded as suggested and got this connection issue when I use the IMERG generated links. I have provided some screenshots, could you identify any potential error? The same downloading method worked in the past for me but not anymore now.
On data ACCESS I also simply cannot connect to the online archive, but I can access and download the example data file in https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/data-access, as well as the IMERG_ATBD_V06.pdf and README documents provided along with the list of IMERG URL files (in one of the screenshots).

Thank you.
Nicolas
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-11-08 18-32-39.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-08 18-32-39.png (132.96 KiB) Not viewed yet
Screenshot from 2022-11-08 18-25-13.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-08 18-25-13.png (88.38 KiB) Not viewed yet

GES DISC - zliu
User Services
User Services

by GES DISC - zliu » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm America/New_York

Hi Nicolas,

I just tested the link in your post and was able to download the data. When you get the message such as "The connection has timed out", the server is busy and temporally not available because too many users like you are trying to download IMERG data.

Based on the link you sent, I notice you used "Get File Subsets using the GES DISC Subsetter". Don't use it unless you need IMERG data on a special grid (like TMPA). The performance is not as good as the other two download options. We suggest to use OPeNDAP to download the subsetted data in NetCDF. Mary also suggests to use the OPeNDAP option in her posts.

Hope this information helps.

Best,

ndasilva

by ndasilva » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:14 am America/New_York

Hi zliu,

Thank you for your answer. Yes it is helpful. If the links work for you then I think there might be an issue on my internet, I will figure it out. Thank you also for specifying that OPeNDAP works better, I had tried the "GES DISC Subsetter" to see if it helped but the outcome was similar.

Best,
Nicolas