Modis level 3 daily cloud effective radius data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
vineeth
Answers: 0

Modis level 3 daily cloud effective radius data

by vineeth » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 pm America/New_York

Hi Admins/Forum members
I'm trying to use modis level 3 daily gridded data for Aerosol cloud interaction studies.

I want to use the "cloud-effective radius" parameter for single-level clouds for 3.7-micron wavelength. I found two parameters in the file, Cloud_Effective_Radius_1L_Liquid_Mean and Cloud_Effective_Radius_37_Liquid_Mean.

Cloud_Effective_Radius_1L_Liquid_Mean: I guess, It is the single-layer liquid cloud effective particle radius retrieved from Band 7 ( 2.1-micron wavelength ). Am I correct?

Cloud_Effective_Radius_37_Liquid_Mean: I assume this parameter is retrieved from Band 20 (3.7-micron wavelength) but include both single and multi-layer clouds. So how can I categorize single-layer clouds from this parameter?

Can anyone provide any suggestions
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Vineeth

Tags:

LAADS_UserServices_M
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Modis level 3 daily cloud effective radius data

by LAADS_UserServices_M » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:09 pm America/New_York

Dear Vineeth:
Here is a response from product SME:
"Their interpretation of those two datasets is correct. And unfortunately there is no way to categorize the 3.7-micron retrievals into single-layer/multi-layer populations using the level-3 files, they’d have to go back to the L2 files to separate those out and aggregate themselves. If I recall correctly, we made the decision not to include the 1L (single layer) aggregations for our non-standard spectral effective radius retrievals because of concerns about file size and number of datasets."
Regards,
LAADS User Services

To receive news from LAADS DAAC direct to your inbox, email laadsdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov with “subscribe” in the subject line.