When are NRT files replaced?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
clays_bio
Answers: 0

When are NRT files replaced?

by clays_bio » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:39 am America/New_York

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere, but is there a schedule for the replacement of NRT files for MODIS, VIIRS, and OLCI (L2 OC and L3b CHL/PAR/RRS/SST)? With the R2018 reprocessing I downloaded files when they were made available and (maybe incorrectly?) assumed they were the final quality-controlled data product. With R2022, there seems to be a large delay before non-NRT files are uploaded, without an obvious upload schedule that I could use to adjust my own downloading schedule.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Tags:

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: When are NRT files replaced?

by OB ODPS - towens » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:49 pm America/New_York

The refined data are dependent on the release of the MERRA2 data that we create our ancillary files from and on the creation of new calibration LUTs. The MERRA2 data are released monthly on or about the 21st day of the following month. We recently processed the Refined Aqua data for October 2022 and are in the process of calibrating Terra.
The October VIIRS and JPSS1 data will follow.

The Near Real Time data will have NRT in the file name so there should not be any question of which version you have.

Tommy

clays_bio

by clays_bio » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:02 pm America/New_York

Thanks! Is this different from the way it worked in the old filenaming system, or were the files from the previous day NRT but not labelled in the filename?
Do subscriptions for new MODIS/VIIRS/OLCI data include only the final processed data, or NRT, or both? I'm thinking that option might be easier for me rather than trying to create my own download schedule to get the non-NRT files...

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 am America/New_York

It is not different (well, we've dropped the 'preliminary quicklook' and only have a 'quicklook' - NRT - now) and yes, the old naming convention did not distinguish NRT from refined. You can subscribe to refined data (when creating the subscription, there is an option "Wait for refined processing" - it is NOT enabled by default).

You can edit your subscriptions to enable that bit on your existing subscriptions (via our data dashboard), or you can create new ones with it set.

Regards,
Sean

clays_bio

by clays_bio » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:52 am America/New_York

Thanks for clearing that up! I'll set up some subscriptions, that sounds like the best route.