artefacts in MOD06 cloud_top_height_1km data
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:33 am America/New_York
When analysing the MOD06 cloud_top_height_1km data in the area of 89°W-92°W, 2°N-2°S, I encountered a large number of artefacts. The artefacts appear in the form of "patches" of approx. 1°x1° in size, where the cloud_top_height deviates significantly from each other.
These artefacts can be clearly seen, for example, at:
MOD06_L2.A2021260.1615.061.2021261020203.hdf
MOD06_L2.A2021278.1600.061.2021279015745.hdf
These artefacts appear in almost every scene from about September 2011 onwards, whereby the sea pixels seem to be more affected than the land pixels. I have also attached a plot of the average of the MOD06 cloud_top_height_1km data from 2021 as an example.
Where can these artefacts come from?
And is there a quality flag for this scene that I can use to find out which pixels are still usable?
Many thanks in advance!
These artefacts can be clearly seen, for example, at:
MOD06_L2.A2021260.1615.061.2021261020203.hdf
MOD06_L2.A2021278.1600.061.2021279015745.hdf
These artefacts appear in almost every scene from about September 2011 onwards, whereby the sea pixels seem to be more affected than the land pixels. I have also attached a plot of the average of the MOD06 cloud_top_height_1km data from 2021 as an example.
Where can these artefacts come from?
And is there a quality flag for this scene that I can use to find out which pixels are still usable?
Many thanks in advance!