ncdump hangs on granules

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
messiem
Answers: 0

ncdump hangs on granules

by messiem » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:39 pm America/New_York

Hello,

I am trying to read granules directly without downloading them, which I was able to do previously but not anymore. I was following instructions at https://docs.opendap.org/index.php/DAP_Clients_-_Authentication and used to both read data within Matlab or in a terminal with a ncdump. Now both hang somewhat randomly (e.g., trying "ncdump -h https://opendap.earthdata.nasa.gov/collections/C2098858642-POCLOUD/granules/oscar_currents_final_20150616" a few times in a row or looping on subsequent dates hangs quickly).

Is there a new ncdump firewall limit similar to the one for wget mentioned at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1626?
If yes, is there any way to get data without downloading every single file or do I need to first download all the files using wget on an input file as mentioned in that post before being able to load the data?

Thank you very much in advance!

Tags:

PODAAC - colleen
User Services
User Services

Re: ncdump hangs on granules

by PODAAC - colleen » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:39 pm America/New_York

Unfortunately, after speaking to our OSCAR data engineer, it looks like this is a question for OPENDAP support.
For additional assistance, please direct your question to support@opendap.org

Respectfully,
PO.DAAC User Services

messiem

Re: ncdump hangs on granules

by messiem » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:58 pm America/New_York

Thank you for the advice!
Just to close the loop on this - I did contact OPENDAP support and they were able to replicate the issue, but the issue resolved itself in a couple days before they were able to determine the cause.
So the mystery remains but things are working again now!