Availability of NCEP and AURAOMI ancillary data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
schmidtga
Answers: 0

Re: Availability of NCEP and AURAOMI ancillary data

by schmidtga » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:04 pm America/New_York

Thanks for keeping the NCEP/AURAOMI data around for us. We have the new code changes in place to use the GMAO FP-IT data and are simply waiting for approval from the customer to move forward with a release soon.
In the mean time, I'm curious if anyone can answer a question about the FP-IT products. When I look at the data throughout various days in the year, I have not seen any gaps in the datasets. Is this due to better global coverage by the instrument? Or are the gaps somehow filled as part of the processing stream?
Also, is there a plan to migrate to GEOS-IT ancillary products, given that the FP-IT products are coming to an end (or so that's our understanding)? If so, will the GEOS-IT products be hosted on the OceanColor site similar to the FP-IT products?
Thanks again for your support.

Tags:

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - towens » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:55 pm America/New_York

The data are created by the GEOS5 data assimlation system that ingests all of the available observations for the given synoptic time and outputs them on a filled 0.5 x 0.625 grid, interpolating through data-sparse regions.

GEOS-IT sample data are available for 2018: https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/directdataaccess/Ancillary/GLOBAL/2018/

GMAO plan to continue to run GEOS-FPIT AT LEAST through the end of 2023. Later this year, they will announce
further information about when GEOS-FPIT will end. We will produce our FPIT stream until the end

A parallel GEOS-IT stream will be available in real time from Ocean Color when the assimilation catches up to real time. That is scheduled to be sometime in June.

If you have another period of interest you would like to compare, we can generate GEOS-IT for that period if the source files are available.

Tommy

schmidtga

by schmidtga » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:12 pm America/New_York

Thank you.
Last edited by schmidtga on Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:26 pm America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - towens » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:04 am America/New_York

Is it safe to stop publishing the NCEP and AURAOMI ancillary data?
I assume you have made the transition to the GMAO ancillary?

Tommy