wget Unable to establish SSL connection for MERRA2 data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
cvwilson
Answers: 0

Re: wget Unable to establish SSL connection for MERRA2 data

by cvwilson » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:33 pm America/New_York

I am running wget 1.21.4 as I said in my previous message and this is not a helpful response. Please read my message and provide information from there.
I'm able to download the link check you posted above in the browser using my login/password, but when I go to the command line I get the "Unable to establish SSL connection" error. Do you have more guidance?

Tags:

GES DISC - mgreene
User Services
User Services
Answers: 2

by GES DISC - mgreene » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:56 pm America/New_York

Re: MERRA2 wget only downloading every other file

by cvwilson » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:24 pm America/New_York
After running the same url.txt file a couple times I got it working; it seemed to be that randomly every few files would fail, but if I tried again on the same url it would download okay. Feel free to close this thread.

robertscott56
Answers: 0

by robertscott56 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:24 am America/New_York

It seems like you're encountering issues with downloading subset MERRA2 data using wget on your Windows machine. The error you mentioned, "Unable to establish SSL connection," could be due to various reasons, including incorrect SSL configuration or server-side restrictions.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

Check SSL Configuration: Make sure that SSL/TLS is properly configured on your system. You may need to update your SSL certificates or adjust your SSL/TLS settings.

Verify URL: Double-check the URLs in your MERRA2_Atlantic.txt file to ensure they are correct and accessible. Sometimes, incorrect URLs or temporary server issues can cause SSL connection errors.

Try Different Download Method: Instead of using wget, you can try alternative methods for downloading the data, such as using a web browser or a different command-line tool.

Contact Support: If you continue to experience issues, consider reaching out to the GES DISC Data Access support team for assistance. They may be able to provide guidance or troubleshoot the problem on their end.

Check File Naming: You mentioned issues with destination names being too long. Ensure that the destination names are within the character limit supported by your operating system and file system.

By following these steps and ensuring proper SSL configuration, you should be able to resolve the SSL connection issue and successfully download the subset MERRA2 data.

GES DISC - mgreene
User Services
User Services
Answers: 2

by GES DISC - mgreene » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 am America/New_York

Thank you, issue resolved.