Converting GEDI data from hdf5 format to geojson or shp

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
ckhamila
Answers: 0

Converting GEDI data from hdf5 format to geojson or shp

by ckhamila » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:15 am America/New_York

The procedure for setting up python environment to allow converting the gedi data from .h5 for format to geojson or shapefile is not working. I need to work with gedi level 2B v002 but I am stuck at the first step of setting up the python environment using the command prompt in windows, once I copy-paste this line 'conda create -n gedi -c conda-forge --yes python=3.7 h5py shapely geopandas pandas', the process keeps loading and loading, please see the screenshot 1. When I tried setting up the environment on a different machine, loading took at least hours 2 and it produced the error as in screen 2.

Lastly, I would like to know whether it is needed to subset the layers on earthdata search before downloading.
Attachments
error extracting oackages
error extracting oackages
2.jpg (112.38 KiB) Not viewed yet
this process does not end
this process does not end
1.PNG (68.36 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags:

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Converting GEDI data from hdf5 format to geojson or shp

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:43 am America/New_York

Hi @ckhamila Thank you for your question. I have passed your question along to our developers. They will take a look and we will report back on this thread with more information once they have an answer or additional questions for you. Thanks!
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

LP DAAC - jwilson
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: Converting GEDI data from hdf5 format to geojson or shp

by LP DAAC - jwilson » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:20 pm America/New_York

@ckhamila,
Please find below the science support response to your question.
The most recent "geopandas" release requires Python versions after 3.8 (Python >=3.8). The user can update the Python version to 3.8 or 3.9 in the command line.

conda create -n gedi -c conda-forge --yes python=3.9 h5py shapely geopandas pandas

Note: Please download/clone the most updated script.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
LP DAAC Support Team