ICESAT-2 HDF data download using python script

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
preetialaska
Answers: 0

ICESAT-2 HDF data download using python script

by preetialaska » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:24 am America/New_York

Hello!

I have downloaded the python script to download ATL13 product in hdf format. When I try to run it on Qtconsole or Jupyter notebook, it does not download the full dataset and stops by downloading just 40%/60% or so. Can you help in rectifying the problem.

Also, what is best binder to use while using such script?
Attachments
error_icesat_2_download.png
error_icesat_2_download.png (51.56 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags:

NSIDC - mbeig
User Services
User Services

Re: ICESAT-2 HDF data download using python script

by NSIDC - mbeig » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:13 pm America/New_York

Thank you for reaching out on the Earthdata Forum. I'm going to see if I can recreate your issue and get back to you. I've not tried running the script from either Qtconsole or a Jupyter notebook. I usually just execute the script from a terminal. I'll be in touch soon, but wanted to make sure you knew I was taking a look.

Kind regards,

Mikala

NSIDC - mbeig
User Services
User Services

by NSIDC - mbeig » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:30 pm America/New_York

P.S. It would be helpful, if you could share your bounding box/polygon coordinates from your query in a copyable format, so I can follow your steps more exactly.
Thanks!

NSIDC - mbeig
User Services
User Services

by NSIDC - mbeig » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:05 pm America/New_York

Unfortunately, I'm unable to recreate your issue. I was able to select those two granules using a simplified bounding box based upon the coordinates I could see in your query. This yielded those 2 granules that I can see in your screenshot. When I execute the python script from a terminal on my MacBook I'm able to download both granules 100% without interruption. I'm currently using Python 3.8.5. When I copy the script into a Jupyter notebook, I'm also able to download those 2 granules 100%. Same behavior when I run the script in the native console in Jupyter lab (I don't currently have QtConsole).
I'm wondering if there is something on your end that is interrupting the download? Are you connected to a vpn? If you could provide me with some additional details, I can try to help troubleshoot.

Mikala

preetialaska

by preetialaska » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:06 am America/New_York

Hi Mikala!

Thank you for the reply! Actually, when I tried to download from my office PC, I am facing these issues. Although at my home PC, I could do it. It seems to be some network issues from my office. We use proxy server. Also, I think the issue is irrespective of bounding box because I changed it and the error remains same.

Thanks & Regards
Preeti

preetialaska

by preetialaska » Mon May 01, 2023 2:08 am America/New_York

Hi again Mikala!

This time we have used a connection where the earlier problem is solved. Although we need to allow URLs to download data through python script. Could you help me with URL that needs access (mentioned below), apart from the two below, which all other URL domain we have to allow? Also, I have attached a screenshot of error I am receiving this time?

https://crs.earthdata.nasa.gov
https://urs.earthdata.nasa.gov

Regards
Preeti

preetialaska

by preetialaska » Tue May 02, 2023 12:24 am America/New_York

Hello Mikala!

I am also attaching the script here, can you please see it once, that everything is correct or not.

Regards
Preeti
Attachments
12.pdf
(83.34 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
nsidc-download_ATL13.005_2023-04-27_2019_1.pdf
(106.33 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

NSIDC - bookerl
User Services
User Services

by NSIDC - bookerl » Tue May 16, 2023 11:28 am America/New_York

Hi Preeti,

I apologize for the delay in response. Mikala is out of the office right now, but I think I can answer your question. The script should download the data from https://n5eil01u.ecs.nsidc.org/

Lisa