Getting data for a limited area

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
thomaslandry
Answers: 0

Getting data for a limited area

by thomaslandry » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:38 am America/New_York

Hello, I am new to this database and I am trying to get air pollution data for some specific region (province of Quebec specifically, ideally daily data for about two decades would do for about a hundred locations top) but when I try to specify a certain area to constrain my search of data to download in the Earthdata search engine, it still tells me that my download will be about 4 TB and that does not seem to change when I change either the size of the area I'm looking at or when I point to a specific location (for example, the center of Montreal). There must be something I'm missing. Any guidance or help would be welcome, so far my readings have not been very helpful and my other sources of data seem to be of poor quality so far.

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: Getting data for a limited area

by GES DISC - jimacker » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:12 pm America/New_York

Thomas,

Hello. Though it might take some time, you could use our Giovanni system (https://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov/) and generate time-series for specific locations, which could then be downloaded as both an image and as CSV data. Giovanni accepts lat/lon coordinates for specific locations. There are several air quality variables available in the system.

The one caveat would be that the time-series will be constrained by the spatial resolution of the data. That means if you input two different lat/lon coordinates for different locations, but these locations are close enough that they would both be in the same grid cell of the data, then the time-series will be identical.

Also note that the GES DISC data download system accessible from the homepage (https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/) provides a spatial subset capability; the data would be downloadable much faster than waiting for Giovanni to generate the time-series for a location. This is particularly important if you are attempting to acquire daily data for a multi-year period!

thomaslandry

by thomaslandry » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:18 pm America/New_York

Thank you very much for the quick response. I will look into that very soon.

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services

by GES DISC - jimacker » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:25 pm America/New_York

Feel free to ask more questions here, and also utilize our Help documentation. If you are unfamiliar with Giovanni, the User Guide should be useful. https://giovanni.gsfc.nasa.gov/giovanni/doc/UsersManualworkingdocument.docx.html

sheethasan

by sheethasan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:56 am America/New_York

nice

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services

by GES DISC - jimacker » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am America/New_York

I'm glad you found this information useful. Can we assist you with the use of Giovanni?