Removing clouds from Extinction Coefficient data from CALIPSO and plot it in Python

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
shravu
Answers: 0

Removing clouds from Extinction Coefficient data from CALIPSO and plot it in Python

by shravu » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:45 am America/New_York

Hello,
I'm trying to plot Extinction_Coefficient_532 vs altitude from CALIPSO data, via Python. I tried using the comprehensive example https://www.hdfeos.org/zoo/MORE/LaRC/CALIPSO/CAL_LID_L2_05kmAPro-Standard-V4-21.2021-01-10T21-34-11ZN.hdf.py
But, I want to mask the extinction coefficient values containing clouds and then plot it. How to do it can someone help me out?

Tags:

ASDC - cheyenne.e.land
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

Re: Removing clouds from Extinction Coefficient data from CALIPSO and plot it in Python

by ASDC - cheyenne.e.land » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:16 am America/New_York

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in CALIPSO data.

We will take a look at this and will get back with you as soon as possible. Apologies for the delay.

Regards,
ASDC User Services

ASDC - cheyenne.e.land
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Removing clouds from Extinction Coefficient data from CALIPSO and plot it in Python

by ASDC - cheyenne.e.land » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:28 pm America/New_York

Hello,

I want to be sure of what you are asking. Are you looking to plot something like the figure below? This is the vertical cross section (curtain) of the extinction coefficient values.

shravu
Answers: 0

by shravu » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:26 am America/New_York

I need something like this kind of plot (attached image file). I am able to plot this but the problem is I need to remove the cloud extinction coefficient values from the total extinction coefficient values as I need to plot the aerosol extinction coefficient only.
Attachments
plot
plot
CAL_LID_L2_05kmAPro-Standard-V4-21.2021-01-10T21-34-11ZN.hdf.py.png (39.34 KiB) Not viewed yet

ASDC - cheyenne.e.land
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by ASDC - cheyenne.e.land » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:34 am America/New_York

Hello,

Since you are using the collection CAL_LID_L2_05kmAPro-Standard-V4-21 (CALIPSO Lidar Level 2 Aerosol Profile) to plot the Extinction_Coeffiecent_532 variable, you will not have to worry about any cloud extinction coefficient values. If you want to plot any cloud extinction coefficient values, use the collection CAL_LID_L2_05kmCPro-Standard-V4-21 (CALIPSO Lidar Level 2 Cloud Profile).

Regards,
ASDC User Services