VIIRS Vegetation version 2 in datapool / CMR

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
valpesendorfer
Answers: 0

VIIRS Vegetation version 2 in datapool / CMR

by valpesendorfer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:27 am America/New_York

Hello,

according to https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/news/lp-daac-releases-viirs-version-2-vegetation-indices-data-products/ version 2 vegetation products based on VIIRS data are (partly) available.

I see they are only accessible through earthdata or directly on AWS using the short term credentials.

Will this data be discoverable through CMR and / or downloadable through the datapool in the future? If so when approx? Until now, the data pool only has VIIRS version 1 products.

Thanks,

Val

Tags:

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

Re: VIIRS Vegetation version 2 in datapool / CMR

by LP DAAC - lien » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:14 am America/New_York

Hi Val,
Sorry for the issues accessing the VIIRS product. Unfortunately, the VIIRS Version 2 products will not be available in the Data Pool. The LPDAAC is transitioning away from on-prem data and eventually all our data will be in the cloud exclusively. The Earthdata Search tool is the primary interface for CMR so if the data is in Earthdata it should be in the CMR. Please let me know how you are accessing the CMR and what specific products you are having issues locating and I can take a look.
Thanks,
Brett

valpesendorfer

by valpesendorfer » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:14 am America/New_York

Hi Brett,

thanks for your response. To discover products, I was using a python wrapper that calls the API endpoint (https://cmr.earthdata.nasa.gov/search/granules.json) directly. Looks like I had some misconfiguration in the query arguments, I can confirm that I can discover the VIIRS version 2 products now.

May I ask if I should expect a similar latency for products being available on the cloud and then being discoverable on CMR as for MODIS? (which seems to be max 1 week, as discussed in another thread: viewtopic.php?t=4276)

Also, will this data be discoverable in the LPCLOUD CMR STAC API (https://cmr.earthdata.nasa.gov/stac/LPCLOUD/)? I don't think it's there yet.

Thanks in advance,

Val

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - lien » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:39 am America/New_York

Good Morning Val,
Really, it is supposed to be almost simultaneously available in all. There has been some longer delay, but that isn't by design. It will also be available in the LPCLOUD CMR Stac. However, one issue that we need to work out in the Stac is what we refer to as the second page issue, which I am not exactly sure how that all works, but, at present not all products show until it transitions to the next list on the following page. It will all be rectified though. Please let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
Thanks,
Brett