CALIOP Mixed phase cloud

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
fernanda.cabello
Answers: 0

CALIOP Mixed phase cloud

by fernanda.cabello » Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:36 pm America/New_York

Hello everyone!
I have a question. I know that from version 2 to version 3 of the algorithm, the mixed-phase cloud condition is removed, and the horizontal ice orientation (HOI) option is implemented. My question is: Why was the mixed-phase clouds condition removed? Does anyone know where I could read about it? I only found in the user manual that it was removed, but I would like to learn more about it. Thank you very much!

Tags:

ASDC - cheyenne.e.land
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

Re: CALIOP Mixed phase cloud

by ASDC - cheyenne.e.land » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:03 pm America/New_York

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in CALIPSO data.

We have contacted a member of the CALIPSO Science team and they will be able answer your question. Thanks.

Regards,

ASDC

ASDC - cheyenne.e.land
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 1

Re: CALIOP Mixed phase cloud

by ASDC - cheyenne.e.land » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:26 am America/New_York

Hello,

We apologize for the long wait but we received this message from the CALIPSO Science team:

The paper by Yongxiang Hu in 2010 describes in great detail the new phase approach from V2 to V3, including the inability to differentiate mixed phase in this new approach.

Hu, Y., D. Winker, M. Vaughan, B. Lin, A. Omar, C. Trepte, D. Flittner, P. Yang, W. Sun, Z. Liu, Z. Wang, S. Young, K. Stamnes, J. Huang, R. Kuehn, B. Baum and R. Holz, 2009: “CALIPSO/CALIOP Cloud Phase Discrimination Algorithm”, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol., 26, 2293-2309, https://doi.org/10.1175/2009JTECHA1280.1.

Regards,
ASDC