Ship Detection Project Share Using ASF API

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
drew_branson.9
Answers: 0

Ship Detection Project Share Using ASF API

by drew_branson.9 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:09 pm America/New_York

I wanted to share a project I've been working on for the past year and a half using the ASF api for data download and the ESA SNAP processing tools. I wanted to be able to monitor ocean traffic to see the effect of the blockade in the Black Sea and the effect on shipping lanes so I used the SNAP object detection tools to look for changes in shipping patterns. Once I fully automated the process I scaled the project globally and now maintain a website displaying global ship locations from SNT-1 imagery kept up to date daily. In order to do this I download all of the GRD SNT-1 imagery available over the words oceans. Thought someone might be interested in why I was downloading 100s of TB of data from the ASF API.

It's available here:
shipdetection.github.io

I also made a presentation/documentation about it here:
https://shipdetection.github.io/about/presentation/

Tags:

ASF - bhauer
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Ship Detection Project Share Using ASF API

by ASF - bhauer » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:37 pm America/New_York

Hello Drew,
Thanks for sharing the results of your project -- we're always eager to learn how data downloaded from ASF are being used. We have a team that has investigated using SAR for ship detection, and I'm sure they'll find your work extremely interesting. I'm anxious to share this with them. Ship detection is a use of SAR that has many potential applications, as your presentation points out, and is a use case we hope to develop further.

-Bill Hauer
Bill Hauer
Alaska Satellite Facility DAAC
User Support Office
uso@asf.alaska.edu