How to use MODIS quality assurance data MCD64A1

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
staochun
Answers: 0

How to use MODIS quality assurance data MCD64A1

by staochun » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:31 pm America/New_York

Dear LPDAAC team,

I currently use MODIS C6.1 quality assurance data (global GEOTIFF product (e.g., *_ba_qa.tif) provided by the univeristy of maryland, mosaiced window-wise using ArcPy subsequently) for research purposes.

I'm happy to find the QA tool for ArcPro: https://git.earthdata.nasa.gov/projects/LPDUR/repos/arcgis-modis-viirs-python-toolbox/browse , and the MODIS product I use is included in the additional information (MODIS Version 6 Products List).

However, my ArcPro version is 3.0.1 and the tool is tested on the version 1.3. Since the web seemed to be updated in 2020, I would like to inquiry if there's any other updates on this tool for the updated version of ArcPro, because I couldn't add this toolbox in my ArcPro environment (the software failed to identify the pyt file).

As I have tried to find various tutorials that aid the usage of this dataset, it seems we need to decipher the 8 bit data (for ArcPy mosaic output I have configured "8-BIT UNSIGNED" for compatibility, the same as the GEOTIFF metadata) to identify (possible pixels of) the burned area, and the toolbox exactly designed such an algorithm. Thus, if the toolbox is unable to be upgraded for further version of ArcPro, I would also like to inquiry whether a code example is provided to guide how to decipher the data via Python (e.g., related library, decipher algorithm).

If you recommend me to contact the author Aaron Friesz as listed on the website, I will try.

Best regards,
Taochun

Tags:

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

Re: How to use MODIS quality assurance data MCD64A1

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:59 am America/New_York

Hello @staochun Thanks for writing in on the forum! I'll talk to Aaron to see if he has an plans on updating the toolbox to the newest version of Arc. We'll reach out later this week. Thanks!
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

staochun

Re: How to use MODIS quality assurance data MCD64A1

by staochun » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:15 am America/New_York

Dear dgolon @ LPDAAC,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, updating the ArcPro toolbox will be crucial to the further usage of this product.

Also, I'm wondering if there's any coding solution that can help directly incorporate the decipher algorithm into the GEOTIFF (provided by the University of Maryland) processing workflow via Python (e.g., the rioxarray library can directly read GEOTIFF and perform pixel-wise analyses, and in this case, the analyses will be performed by the decipher algorithm).

Personally speaking, the Python processing workflow is a perfect match for my research purposes. However, for non-programmers using the ArcPro toolbox, the updates will be beneficial to the entire community.

It will be great if you could talk to Aaron in terms of both toolbox updates and coding solutions. Also, I hope we could get in touch via email for you and Aaron (mailto: stc20@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn) for specific issues. I'm willing to offer help if needed.

Best,
Taochun