Plotting CALIPSO aerosol feature subtype using CALIPSO Aerosol Layer data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
shravu
Answers: 0

Plotting CALIPSO aerosol feature subtype using CALIPSO Aerosol Layer data

by shravu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:58 am America/New_York

I am trying to plot the frequency of occurrences of aerosol feature subtype using the CALIPSO Vertical feature mask data (CAL_LID_L2_VFM-Standard-V4-51). I am able to plot the contours of the feature subtypes using https://hdfeos.org/zoo/LaRC_CALIPSO_py.php. Since my area and time period of study is large, I wanted to plot the total feature subtypes in my study area. Thus is there any script to plot the frequency of occurrences of the feature subtypes in a particular area (between a particular lat/lon)?

Tags:

ASDC - David W.
User Services
User Services

Re: Plotting CALIPSO aerosol feature subtype using CALIPSO Aerosol Layer data

by ASDC - David W. » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:59 am America/New_York

hi Shravu,

In a previous Forum post (viewtopic.php?t=3671), I found this link to a CALIPSO article on how to generate a profile of mean CALIPSO aerosol extinction, an example of basic quality screening techniques for CALIPSO level 2 profile extinction products using MATLAB.

https://www-calipso.larc.nasa.gov/resources/calipso_users_guide/tools/files/Generate_Mean_Extinction_Profile_v3.pdf

I think their example, even though it's in MATLAB, can be written in Python and with a few changes could provide you with the results you need.

Thank you,

David W.
NASA Langley ASDC DAAC Lifecycle

shravu

by shravu » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:38 am America/New_York

Thankyou for your response, but I am trying to plot CALIPSO vertical feature mask data in two ways (attached sample images). First i want the contour plots and next i want the frequency of occurrences of each feature subtype (2nd image shows the frequency of occurrence of dust feature subtype).
Attachments
Vertical-distribution-of-occurrence-frequencies-of-dust-layer-in-the-daytime-and.png
Vertical-distribution-of-occurrence-frequencies-of-dust-layer-in-the-daytime-and.png (38.16 KiB) Not viewed yet
calipso_feature_mask.png
calipso_feature_mask.png (25.06 KiB) Not viewed yet

ASDC - mcook
User Services
User Services

by ASDC - mcook » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:14 am America/New_York

Dear Shravu,
Please go to the HDF-EOS Tools and Information Center where they can better assist you with your plotting and code concerns.

eoshelp@hdfgroup.org

shravu

by shravu » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:28 am America/New_York

Thank you for the assistance. My issue is resolved.