update_luts and gpt SeaDAS 8.4.1 on Centos 7

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
treble
Answers: 0

update_luts and gpt SeaDAS 8.4.1 on Centos 7

by treble » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:32 pm America/New_York

I just installed SeaDAS 8.4.1 on Centos 7. I encountered the following 2 issues (more of an FYI):

The update_luts is different from the one on my Mac. Version 2.0 vs. 2.1. The Centos (linux64) does not have the option 'all' to update all luts, so you have to go sensor by sensor :( . Plus it is missing some missions, like viirsj2. See below part of the output of update_luts -h on linux and Mac:
Centos 7, update_luts 2.0:

Code: Select all

MISSION            sensor or platform to process; one of:
                     common, seawifs, aquarius, modisa, modist, viirsn, viirsj1, aqua, terra, npp, j1
Mac, update_luts 2.1:

MISSION            sensor or platform to process; one of:
                     all, common, seawifs, hico, modisa, modist, viirsn, viirsj1, viirsj2, oci, aqua, terra, npp, j1, j2
I also had a problem with gpt. Apparently Java 11 is needed (Java 8 is not enough). I also had to modify the gpt script in order to find java.
I had to change one line in gpt, starting with:

exec "$app_home/jdk-11.0.19+7-jre/Contents/Home/bin/java" 
to

exec "$app_java_home/bin/java"
To install the correct version of java, as su (or sudo):

yum install java-11-openjdk-devel
To set it as the default version, select it when issuing this command:

alternatives --config java
Hope this helps,

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: update_luts and gpt SeaDAS 8.4.1 on Centos 7

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:54 pm America/New_York

SeaDAS 8.4.1 defaults to the V2023.3 tag for the OCSSW software, which provides update_luts version 2.1. The python scripts are not OS dependent. Make sure you don't have a previously installed version that is being called. You can verify the installed version of OCSSW in the GUI (SeaDAS-Toolbox->Install/Update SeaDAS Processors) or from the command line via:

$ install_ocssw --installed_tag
Yes, the required Java version is 11 (at least I'm pretty sure...one of the developers can confirm or refute :D )

Regards,
Sean

treble

by treble » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:11 pm America/New_York

Ah, yes, you are completely right. In the GUI it defaulted to an older version/tag. I didn't realize it. Changing it to V2023.3 fixed the update_luts script.

Also, regarding java, I just noticed that SeaDAS actually installed java 11 in the SeaDAS install directory ( jdk-11.0.19+7-jre ). So no need to install Java 11. However, the gpt script still has a bug. Change

exec "$app_home/jdk-11.0.19+7-jre/Contents/Home/bin/java"
to

exec "$app_home/jdk-11.0.19+7-jre/bin/java"
(remove Contents/Home/ ).

sidsaini445

by sidsaini445 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:08 am America/New_York

it seems there are a few key points about resolving l2gen errors in SeaDAS/OCSSW:

Many l2gen errors relate to file permissions or disk space issues. Make sure the user running l2gen has proper read/write access to input/output directories. Also check available disk space.
For issues specific to VIIRS data, additional configuration may be needed to point l2gen/geolocate_viirs to the correct sensor directory. Setting the OCSSW_VIIRS_SENSOR environment variable can help.

Problems with creating product XML files or other outputs could indicate an incompatibility between l2gen and the system libraries/compiler. Upgrading to the latest SeaDAS/OCSSW version can sometimes resolve such problems.

Segmentation faults and crashes when running l2gen with certain algorithm configurations (like iop_opt=2) suggest some conflict between that algorithm and the system. Again, trying a SeaDAS/OCSSW upgrade is recommended.

For L1 input data errors, re-downloading the files can help eliminate cases of corruption or incomplete transfers.

The l2gen GUI and command line interfaces have gone through many updates and enhancements over time to add parameters, improve defaults, and fix bugs. Keeping SeaDAS/OCSSW installation up-to-date can take advantage of these improvements.

File permissions, disk space, software/library compatibility, and SeaDAS version currency seem to be the main areas to troubleshoot when resolving l2gen failures.

Sid Saini
Last edited by ASDC - David W. on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:12 pm America/New_York, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removing website advertising link