A request for systems engineering data, with the aim of using it in a master's thesis

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
mahdi_fa97
Answers: 0

A request for systems engineering data, with the aim of using it in a master's thesis

by mahdi_fa97 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:22 am America/New_York

I am a master's student in aerospace engineering.
Currently, I have defined the topic of my thesis, "the use of artificial intelligence in the systems engineering process of space systems". The goal is to use the knowledge of machine learning ML and natural language processing NLP to make the processes related to the requirements engineering phase, from the system engineering phases, a little better, shorter and more optimized. In the requirements engineering phase, a lot of documents must be reviewed and approved.

This work is done by examining the project requirements documents at different levels. This is done by reviewing project requirements documents at various levels. In this way, the project requirements document is entered into an artificial intelligence software based on machine learning and natural language processing, then, the software analyzes them by analyzing the textual data of the requirements documents.

The output of the software will be several Word or PDF files in which the requirements are categorized according to their types, such as functional, physical, performance, etc. (which are divided into 13 categories based on sources) and for this reason, in the upcoming phases of SE, for example in the verification and validation phase, the workflow will be much clearer and faster for the experts.

As a master's student who dreamed of space since childhood, today I am working on such a project that I have defined myself; Based on my strong interest in three areas of space science, system engineering and artificial intelligence. Therefore, to reach the final goal of the project, I need information about the system design phases of several projects so that I can develop my artificial intelligence model.

What I need is requirements documents at different levels of multiple projects (i.e. multiple satellites or simple space objects); they don't need to be operational missions now. Only its correctness is the criterion for me, and what space organization is more accurate and precise than NASA? Therefore, I need your help.

It would be an honor for me if NASA helps me with my project.
your sincerely
Mahdi

Tags:

ASDC - rkey
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: A request for systems engineering data, with the aim of using it in a master's thesis

by ASDC - rkey » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:55 am America/New_York

Greetings @mahdi_fa97,

Thanks for posting your interest in systems engineering data. While this information is generally considered confidential for active missions, some engineering support may be assessed on a case-by-case basis for conducting pre-project studies, mission and operations, and integration and test. Here are two examples:

• Tropospheric Emission Spectrometer (TES) mission that has concluded
- Mission Documentation is listed on the Atmospheric Science Data Center website (ASDC)
- https://asdc.larc.nasa.gov/project/TES/documentation

• Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) offers the Deep Space Network
- Documents Applicable to All Missions and may be useful to both designers of new missions as well as current DSN mission customers
- https://deepspace.jpl.nasa.gov/about/commitments-office/mission-documents/

Consider using Earthdata Search to access available documentation for other missions. Select an Instrument or Project, and from the matching collections returned you can then hover and select the “i” icon to View collection details. Selecting View More Info under Related URLs will display additional documentation and Data Contacts hosted by the Common Metadata Repository (CMR) . Visiting the hosting Data Center website may also provide available documentation.

Best wishes on your thesis!

ASDC - rkey
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: A request for systems engineering data, with the aim of using it in a master's thesis

by ASDC - rkey » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:44 am America/New_York

Hello @mahdi_fa97,

In addition, the following Terra mission link also provides a wealth of information. Here you will find links to various publications, user's guides, and Algorithm Theoretical Basis Documents (ATBDs) for each of the Terra instruments: ASTER, CERES. MISR, MODIS, and MOPITT. https://terra.nasa.gov/resources

Best Regards