Inability to Download OB.DAAC Data with obdaac_download.py

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
eric.r.enloe
Answers: 0

Inability to Download OB.DAAC Data with obdaac_download.py

by eric.r.enloe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:27 am America/New_York

Using the python method provided in the data download methods (https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/download_methods/), I am trying to download many day files of SNPP-VIIRS Rrs data. I am working on a machine using Windows 10 and my current python version is 3.8.10.

Without changing the py file I issue this command to the script:

python obdaac_download.py -v --filelist C:\Users\path\to\file\list --odir C:\Users\path\to\output\location --appkey myappkey
Output directory: C:\Users\path\to\output\location
Retrieving https://oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi/getfile/SNPP_VIIRS.20200101.L3m.DAY.RRS.Rrs_410.4km.nc

and after trying to reach the url to download the data the following error is returned:

requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='oceandata.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /cgi/getfile/SNPP_VIIRS.20200101.L3m.DAY.RRS.Rrs_410.4km.nc?appkey=myappkey (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x0000022CA4F261C0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [WinError 10060] A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'))

Is there a known solution to this error or is there something else that I need to do on my system to allow for it to grab data remotely?

Tags:

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: Inability to Download OB.DAAC Data with obdaac_download.py

by OB ODPS - towens » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 am America/New_York

eric.r.enloe

by eric.r.enloe » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:31 pm America/New_York

It downloads the file just as if I went through the direct data access repository.

OB ODPS - towens
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

by OB ODPS - towens » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:29 pm America/New_York

and the download script is still timing out on the file you transferred via the browser?

Tommy

eric.r.enloe

by eric.r.enloe » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:18 am America/New_York

Correct. I just tried again this morning using both the single file input to the script and using the filelist methods and I received the same error again.

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm America/New_York

Eric,

I verified the script on Windows10. I was able to retrieve the file you report as an example (obviously I used my own appkey). The error you're seeing suggests a problem with the connection - the script is trying to connect, but cannot. Odd that you can get the file from the browser, but not the script. Do you have a local firewall preventing web connections from python scripts? Grasping at straws here...

Sean

eric.r.enloe

by eric.r.enloe » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:33 am America/New_York

I am working on a DoD computer, so it is possible that we have some protective measures from pulling things online. I will reach out to my IT department to see if they have a better understanding on what is blocking this download process through the script.