no VersionID in ATL15 Metadata

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jessica.scheick
Answers: 0

no VersionID in ATL15 Metadata

by jessica.scheick » Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:24 pm America/New_York

The ATL15 v003 metadata of an s3 file (url: s3://nsidc-cumulus-prod-protected/ATLAS/ATL15/003/ATL15_GL_0318_01km_003_01.nc) has a "VersionID" value of "SET_BY_PGE".

The info can be found within the file at: file["METADATA"]["DatasetIdentification"].attrs.["VersionID"]

We have an automated workflow that extracts version information using these attributes, and the unset value is causing the workflow to fail. Is this an intentional value, or one that did not get set during data production?

Tags:

NSIDC - mbeig
User Services
User Services

Re: no VersionID in ATL15 Metadata

by NSIDC - mbeig » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:01 pm America/New_York

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for pointing this out! I contacted the ICESat-2 Project Science Office and this attribute should be populated with the most recent Version number, but a blip in the QA process missed it this go around. Just a heads up, ATL14 v003 and ATL11 v006 have similar issues. This will be fixed during the next release of these data products.

Kind regards,

Mikala

jessica.scheick

Re: no VersionID in ATL15 Metadata

by jessica.scheick » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:10 pm America/New_York

Hey Mikala,

Thanks for the confirmation and letting me know about the other products affected. I'll expand the temporary fix I'm adding to icepyx to include the other products.

Best,
~Jessica