FIRMS Fire Map FAQ

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
Earthdata - wxedward
User Services
User Services
Answers: 22

FIRMS Fire Map FAQ

by Earthdata - wxedward » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:26 am America/New_York

Can I download the fire data from the FIRMS Fire Map?

Active fire data are not currently available for download directly from the FIRMS Fire Maps. However, active fire locations from MODIS and VIIRS (and Landsat for the US and Canada) are available for download for the last 24 hours, last 48 hours, and last 7 days on the Active Fire Data page. Older MODIS and VIIRS data can be obtained through the Archive Download Tool.

How can I share what I see in the Fire Map viewer with others?

You can create a customized view of imagery and geospatial data in the Fire Map viewer focused on a particular area of interest and share it with others as a PNG, JPG, GIF, or GeoTIFF image. To save and share an image of your map, click the screenshot icon at the bottom of the viewer and select your preferred option. Alternatively, you can create a unique URL for your customized view to share via email or social media by clicking the share icon at the bottom of the Fire Map viewer.

What are the different sources of fire data in Fire Map?

See What are the different sources of data in FIRMS?

What does today vs 24 hours mean?

"Today" will show active fire detection data from 0000 GMT to present. “24 hours” will display active fire detection data from 0000 GMT yesterday to present. Click on the "i" icon in the date tab (top right of the FIRMS Fire Map menu) to see what Today and 24 hours means in your local time.

What is the best way to view smoke in Fire Map?

To view smoke, add one of the corrected reflectance layers from the MODIS or VIIRS from the "backgrounds" section of the menu on the right. In addition, you could add the OMPS Aerosol Index (AI) and OMPS Aerosol Index (PyroCumuloNimbus) from the "overlays" section. OMPS AI detects and measures the density of smoke and suspended particles in the vertical air column in the atmosphere. Typical values of the aerosol index range from 0 to 5 and indicate dust storms or biomass burning smoke located in the lower troposphere (1-3 km). For AI values significantly higher than 5, use the OMPS Aerosol Index (PyroCumuloNimbus) layer. Larger AI values between 5 and 10 usually indicate dense smoke from intensely burning fires that reach higher in the troposphere. Once the AI gets above 10, the smoke has likely been produced from a pyroCb event, with dense smoke lofted into the upper troposphere and, often, into the stratosphere.

The OMPS AI layer is useful for identifying and tracking smoke from wildfires or biomass burning events as well as dust from desert dust storms and the long-range transport of volcanic ash from volcanic eruptions. Values of 5.0, or higher, indicate heavy concentrations of aerosols that could reduce visibility or impact human health.

Tags: