MODIS cloud remove

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
zhooukee
Answers: 0

MODIS cloud remove

by zhooukee » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 pm America/New_York

While I was referencing the state layer for removing clouds and their shadows from MODIS images, I noticed there are two indicators related to cloud layers: "cloud state" and "Internal Cloud Algorithm Flag." I am not sure which indicator I should follow for cloud removal and would like to seek your advice on this matter. Additionally, when removing cloud shadows, using "cloud shadow" is correct, isn't it?

Tags:

LP DAAC - dgolon
User Services
User Services

Re: MODIS cloud remove

by LP DAAC - dgolon » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:20 am America/New_York

hi @zhooukee Could you please mention which specific MODIS product you are working with? (For example: MOD09A1) that will help us direct your question to the right team. Thank you - Danielle
Subscribe to the LP DAAC listserv by sending a blank email to lpdaac-join@lists.nasa.gov.

Sign up for the Landsat listserv to receive the most up to date information about Landsat data: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDOIGS/subscriber/new#tab1.

zhooukee

by zhooukee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:23 am America/New_York

Apologies for the previous oversight. The product being used is MOD09GA.Thanks for your helping
Zhou

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - lien » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:46 am America/New_York

Hi Zhou,
It is recommended to use the Cloud State, as that is more definitive. Also, It contains, cloud mask from MOD35 and cloud/snow/aerosol/fire/shadow etc as determined by the reflectance algorithm. Hence users are encouraged to use the state flag from the MOD09GA.
Thanks,
Brett

zhooukee

by zhooukee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:01 pm America/New_York

OK, thank you. I have one more question. If I want to perform vegetation physical and chemical parameter inversion, is it necessary to remove pixels with high aerosol levels?

LP DAAC - lien
User Services
User Services

by LP DAAC - lien » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:44 pm America/New_York

Ideally, that would be the case, if you are asking me is it more necessary for that purpose then it is with others, I am not sure. But undoubtedly the more accurate Surface Reflectance value is with the lower Aerosol level. One of the inherent issues with daily data is to find the balance between several factors including the solar and sensor angles and minimal clouds. So you really will need to decide how to balance the thresholds between those factors.
Thanks

zhooukee

by zhooukee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:25 pm America/New_York

ok,thanks