NLDAS coordinate convention questions

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
EarthdataForumContributor
Answers: 3

NLDAS coordinate convention questions

by EarthdataForumContributor » Fri May 22, 2020 3:56 pm America/New_York

I have a simple question about the coordinate conventions in VIC hourly data. I downloaded these data in netCDF format and am working on translating them to raster format in Python for use in hydrology research.

Are the longitude and latitude values to be interpreted as centroids of each grid cell? That is, the tuples constructed from every combination of (longitude, latitude) will give the centroid of each grid cell in the geographic area of interest that I downloaded?

Tags:

GES DISC - jimacker
User Services
User Services
Answers: 3

Re: NLDAS coordinate convention questions

by GES DISC - jimacker » Fri May 22, 2020 4:02 pm America/New_York

From our GES DISC staff member lead on GLDAS/NLDAS data:
"Regarding to your question on the coordinate conventions, could you please take a look on the NLDAS FAQ https://ldas.gsfc.nasa.gov/faq/nldas (search for Q. What geographic coordinate system was used to generate the NLDAS grid?).

As described in this answer and the links within it, the center of the grid box is the exact lat/lon given. The lower-left corner point is exactly 25.0625 N and 124.9375 W; each grid box going north and east is 0.125 degrees away from this point."