PACE L3M grid

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
tobyw
Answers: 0

PACE L3M grid

by tobyw » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:54 pm America/New_York

Hi all -

Thanks in advance for fielding what I assume will be a steady stream of PACE-related questions :)

I see that the new PACE L3 (and presumably L4) Mapped products are given at two spatial resolutions, 4km and '0.1 degree'. The '0.1 degree' grid (1800x3600) is different than products from other missions (2160x4320) and is something like '~11km' resolution at the Equator (compared to the nominal 9km of past products). Why the change and is there similar reasoning as explained in this source?:

https://oceancolor.gsfc.nasa.gov/resources/docs/format/l3bins/

Thanks!
Toby

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

Re: PACE L3M grid

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:42 pm America/New_York

Toby,

I argued for only one resolution (the 4.6km) 8-)

PACE is more than just oceans, and some folks from the atmosphere discipline proposed we distribute a 0.1 degree resolution, so we're back to two. The 9.2 km was produced to maintain consistency with SeaWiFS when we started producing the MODIS data in 2004. It's been 20 years, time to kill the 9.2km...long live 0.1 deg.

If for some reason you *need* 9.2km maps, grab the bin file and run l3bin with "reduce_fac=2", then remap with l3mapgen.

As a teaser, I have a grand plan to provide a service to produce mapped data at a user-defined resolution (within reason ;) ). I just don't know how long it'll take to put my plan into action (or if I'll be disabused of my delusions of grandeur :lol: )

Sean