Trouble with Authentication Error when Accessing MERRA-2 Data via OPenDAP URL

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
serena251199
Answers: 0

Trouble with Authentication Error when Accessing MERRA-2 Data via OPenDAP URL

by serena251199 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 am America/New_York

Hi,

I'm facing an authentication error when trying to retrieve weather data from Merra-2 using Python language in Jupyter Notebook on MacOS. I need a dataset with daily data and [longitude, latitude] coordinates for my weather prediction model. However, I'm having trouble with the authentication, it keeps showing this error:

"syntax error, unexpected WORD_WORD, expecting SCAN_ATTR or SCAN_DATASET or SCAN_ERROR
context: HTTP^ Basic: Access denied"

Here's what I have done: I have registered for Earth Data account, specified the MERRA-2 collection and generated an OPenDAP URL to access MERRA-2 data (code snippet referenced from online resources is attached).

=> Could you please clarify on any further authentication steps I need to take to authenticate my access to the Earth Data portal? Or are there any alternative ways I can try?

Thank you so much, I appreciate it.
Attachments
Code Snippet.png
Code Snippet.png (132.13 KiB) Not viewed yet

Tags:

cbattisto
Answers: 0

Re: Trouble with Authentication Error when Accessing MERRA-2 Data via OPenDAP URL

by cbattisto » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:18 pm America/New_York

Hello,

Have you verified that your "Earthdata prerequisite files" have been generated and stored? These include the .netrc, .dodsrc, and .urs_cookies files: https://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/information/howto?keywords=prerequisite&title=How%20to%20Generate%20Earthdata%20Prerequisite%20Files

Thank you,
Chris Battisto (NASA GES DISC)