Chlorophyll-a data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
jsong100
Answers: 0

Chlorophyll-a data

by jsong100 » Fri May 03, 2024 11:01 am America/New_York

Hello, I'm currently working with Chlorophyll-a data in R. I obtained the dataset (SNPP_VIIRS.20201231T211200.L2.OC.nc) from NASA's OceanColor website. After loading the data into R and extracting the variables (geophysical_data/chlor_a, navigation_data/latitude, navigation_data/longitude), I subsetted the data to focus on the area where longitude is between -121 and -115, and latitude is between -20.5 and -18. For example, at lon = -117.1744, lat = -18.00001, I got chlor_a = 0.07979830.

When I plotted the data of chlor_a, I noticed that areas which appear blank on the official image from the website show Chlorophyll values in my plot. Does the blank in the image indicate the clounds block but the Chlorophyll-a can still be calculated based on the algorithm? Could I have made an error in my process or they do have the values in the subset area? Thank you!
Attachments
website_plot.jpg
website_plot.jpg (461.09 KiB) Not viewed yet
my_plot.jpg
my_plot.jpg (227.46 KiB) Not viewed yet

Filters:

zoeypenelope
Answers: 0

Re: Chlorophyll-a data

by zoeypenelope » Mon May 06, 2024 2:08 am America/New_York

This algorithm returns the near-surface concentration of chlorophyll-a (chlor_a) in mg m-3, calculated using an empirical relationship derived from in situ ...The Chlorophyll Concentration dataset shows global near-real-time concentrations of chlorophyll-a in the ocean. Concentrations are presented in milligrams per cubic meter (mg/m3). Chloro phylls are pigments found in photosynthetic plants that transform sunlight into energy.