Where to find incident and azimuth angle?

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
blueyeti1881
Answers: 0

Where to find incident and azimuth angle?

by blueyeti1881 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:14 pm America/New_York

I am using SNAP to process my data. Where can i find azimuth angle and incident angle. is the azimuth angle is with respect to North? From metadata file i found under generalAnnotation>productInformation the platform heading as -12.56. Is this the angle in anticlockwise direction with respect to North. Also inside Tie-Point Grids>IW2_incident_angle, when i click it gave me an image in grey color. how to get the incident angle from the image in degree as i expected like platform heading , i will also get some information written in text in degree for incident angle instead of grey image.
Attachments
incident_angle.png
incident_angle.png (138.82 KiB) Not viewed yet
Screenshot from 2024-06-12 11-11-06.png
Screenshot from 2024-06-12 11-11-06.png (131.4 KiB) Not viewed yet

Filters:

ASF - bhauer
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Where to find incident and azimuth angle?

by ASF - bhauer » Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:31 pm America/New_York

The metadata provides the azimuth angle as the attribute "platformHeading." It is with respect to the North direction, where clockwise is positive and anti-clockwise is negative.

These conversations posted in the STEP forum may be helpful in determining incidence angle values:
https://forum.step.esa.int/t/incidence-angle-sentinel-1-image/8105
https://forum.step.esa.int/t/extract-incidence-angle-from-metadata/39336

The metadata attribute "incidenceAngleMidSwath" may also be a useful value. It is defined as the "Incidence angle at mid-swath [degrees]."

Thank you.
Bill Hauer
Alaska Satellite Facility DAAC
User Support Office
uso@asf.alaska.edu