SST, wave and wind speed Data

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
kunlemstfuta
Answers: 0

SST, wave and wind speed Data

by kunlemstfuta » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:35 pm America/New_York

Good day sir! I have really benefitted from the use of Power NASA data for research purpose however, the NASA site for oceanic data such as ocean waves, ocean winds, SST etc proved very difficult to assess or download. Please i humbly request that you provide a step by step (point or regional) download of ocean waves like significant wave height, mean wave period, peak wave period, mean wave direction, 10m wind speed and SST. I need each of these data daily from 1980 till date and over lon 116E and lat 16N (for point download) and over lon 105 to 121 E, lat 3 to 23N (for regional download). I prefer a CSV download format. My email address is aaosinowo@gmail.com. You can mail your response and guides to me. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Tags:

ASDC - mcook
User Services
User Services
Answers: 0

Re: Hi

by ASDC - mcook » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:02 pm America/New_York

Dear Osinowo Adekunle Ayodotun,

Thank you for contacting us with an interest in POWER data.
A Subject Matter Expert was notified to provide an answer for your question.

Warm Regards.

ASDC - pstackhouse
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 2

by ASDC - pstackhouse » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am America/New_York

Dear Mr. Ayodotun,

Thank you for using the POWER web services portal. Although we don't have SST as an official variable we do carry the variable called Earth Skin temperature which is essentially SST for regions that are oceanic (API variable name: TS). Unfortunately, we don't have the support to pull the data for you, but we have provided instructions for you to learn our API and use a script to pull the data you need. Please see the web site: https://power.larc.nasa.gov/docs/tutori ... quest/api/ to more about how to download regional information using our API service. As a jump start we recommend that you utilize our DAV at https://power.larc.nasa.gov/data-access-viewer/ for your specific location below. Select the the "SSE-Renewable Energy" community and daily average temporal resolution. Supply the Lat/Lon and dates of interest. Then find the parameter "Earth Skin Temperature" in the tab folder "Meteorology (Temperature)". Select the ASCII or GeoJSON format. This will provide the estimates of this quantity for the entire time period at the location you specified. Beneath the sample figures is the text and links: "Want to incorporate POWER data access directly into your application? Click here to access the URL constructed to create this data order." If you click the embedded link or more directly select the GeoJSON button, the exact API string required to generate your order will be displayed in your browser URL. Using this URL string and the information on building your own scripts will allow you to download all the information you need. If you are able to learn this then you'll be able to pull the relevant data for your work at anytime and any region. I hope you understand that we receive many orders like yours and do not have the project support available to pull these data for you. Please let us know if you have follow up questions.

Sincerely,
The POWER team
Dr. Paul Stackhouse
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA, USA

ASDC - pstackhouse
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert
Answers: 2

by ASDC - pstackhouse » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:54 pm America/New_York

P.S. In my response, I should have noted that we do have estimates from ocean winds at 2 m, 10 m and 50 m above the surface. However, we do NOT have ocean wave heights. Lastly, please note that all of these parameters are adapted from NASA's MERRA-2 reanalysis data products as described in our "Methodology" documentation.
Dr. Paul Stackhouse
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA, USA