HICO level 2 processing

Use this Forum to find information on, or ask a question about, NASA Earth Science data.
obdaac_forum_user
Answers: 0

HICO level 2 processing

by obdaac_forum_user » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:26 pm America/New_York

Dear Sean,

from what I understand of previous posts, HICO wavebands are intergrated to MERIS bands for level2 processing.
I assume this is performed upstream (prior atmospheric corrections).

Can you specify which procedure you use to perform spectral integration?

Best regards

Christophe

Tags:

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services
Answers: 1

HICO level 2 processing

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 pm America/New_York

Christophe,There is no band integration involved.  Currently, the HICO reader in our processing codesimply selects the HICO bands nearest to the MERIS bands.  Yes, this is done prior to atmospheric correction.We are not currently processing HICO beyond L1 browse imagery and have made no attemptyet at calibrating the instrument for doing so.  On our exceptionally long list of things to do isto modify our processing code to be able to handle hyperspectral instruments like HICO.If you want to see how we're currently handling HICO, the reader code is available in the source package for SeaDAS or just for web browsing, here.
Regards,Sean

OB SeaDAS - dshea
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

HICO level 2 processing

by OB SeaDAS - dshea » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:02 pm America/New_York

The L1B HICO reader selects the band closest to the center wavelength of each of the 15 MERIS bands.  This is done prior to the atmosphere correction as you suspected.  We started out VERY simple to get started.  I am in the process of modifying l2gen to be able to accept 128 (probably not 384 though) bands.  That might take a while...

bryanfranz

HICO level 2 processing

by bryanfranz » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 pm America/New_York

I'd add that the HICO bands are at 6-nm intervals and spectral smoothing is performed with a gaussian filter in the calibration process such that the band widths are nominally overlapping 10-nm FWHM gaussians (much like MERIS bands).  

-- bryan

obdaac_forum_user

HICO level 2 processing

by obdaac_forum_user » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:39 pm America/New_York

Thank you very much for these detailed answers.

Best regards

Christophe

obdaac_forum_user

HICO level 2 processing

by obdaac_forum_user » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 pm America/New_York

Hi Sean,
I am processing HICO L1b data using Seadas 7, and an IDL code as a wrapper from L1 to L3. I understand that HICO processing "simulates" the MERIS bands. However, I would wish to clarify the following:

1. Is the HICO processing set up under SEADAS 7 meant to generate exactly the same products list like MERIS.
2. I have noted that requesting for processing of some OC products with the HICO bands fails (actually Seadas 7 halts), e.g. tsm_clark, chl_gsm; is it possible to generate such products from HICO bands?

Thanks,
R

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

HICO level 2 processing

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:28 am America/New_York

HICO has 128 bands (or 384, but we'll not go there...), but our processing code currently only supports multispectral instruments.
SO, we only read in the bands that match the MERIS band set.  This means that we can produce the same products with HICO
that we can produce with MERIS - although there may be some products that are not "HICO" aware and may not work (although
technically they could - e.g. par).

tsm_clark was removed as a product with 7.0.1 (although seems not completely enough, as it's selectable, but not produceable)
chl_gsm works for me...

Sean

obdaac_forum_user

HICO level 2 processing

by obdaac_forum_user » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:15 am America/New_York

Hi Sean,
Thanks, thats great info, I wish would actually go ahead and explain the 384, I am keen to understand a little bit more about HICO. Let me know what you would suggest as a thorough read on this.

Well, nice to meet you the other day at Cornell.
Regards,
R

OB.DAAC - SeanBailey
User Services
User Services

HICO level 2 processing

by OB.DAAC - SeanBailey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am America/New_York

It's nothing super secret :grin:

HICO can be commanded into a special calibration mode where it will record 384 spectral bands.  There are only a few scenes like this.
I don't think the version of the code in the current SeaDAS release will handle these files, although our current development code does.
When we modify our code to be able to deal with hyperspectral data, we are likely to only handle the 128 band files.

Regards,
Sean

jasmine

HICO level 2 processing

by jasmine » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:58 pm America/New_York

To add to Sean's reply ...The HICO sensor collects data from 350 to 1080 nm at 1.91 nm spectral resolution (384 bands). In normal operating mode, these bands are binned spectrally by three at read-out, yielding the final 128 bands (at 5.7 nm spectral resolution) that are found in the data files.  Binning the bands increases the signal-to-noise ratio.As Sean mentioned, a high-resolution mode is used periodically for calibration purposes. This mode retains the original 1.91 nm resolution.Further details about the HICO sensor are available from the HICO website://hico.coas.oregonstate.edu/You may particularly be interested in this page://hico.coas.oregonstate.edu/datasets/datacharacteristics.shtmlRegards,Jasmine